1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recombination time for ionized atoms in a low pressure gas?

1. Sep 9, 2014 #1
    I am looking into some new physics and had the following question come up:

You have a neutral gas of let's say, CO atoms at 1 nanoTorr. An electron(s) comes passing through the gas ionizing only 1% of the gas atoms. How long does it take for the gas to come back to neutrality? In other words, what is the recombination time? Any help or guidance of texts to read would be very helpful!! bqmh2.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

4. Sep 12, 2014 #3
    This is an extremely complex algorithm. You can find some tables in plasma physics books. It depends on the pressure, the species and level of ionization, at the minimum.

Eric

5. Sep 12, 2014 #4
  6. Sep 12, 2014 #5
    Hi guys, thanks for the advice/response.

Yes, I can imagine that is a very complicated physics involved. I tried looking it up on google and it was pretty unsuccessful. Do you guys have anything you an refer (no matter how complex)?

I am trying to develope a simple understanding for this:

Find the mean free path between atoms. Find v_rms of the atoms. Then I can find the recombination time. The thing that complicates this a bit more is the fact that the mean free path is between ANY atoms not necessarily two atoms that will allow recombination (a neg. and pos. ion).

Any ideas? Corrections? Lol at this point anything will be appreciated!

7. Sep 12, 2014 #6
  8. Sep 12, 2014 #7
    I suspect the transition probabilities of the states will be involved somehow.
    I'm still learning how to use autostructure, but I think it can help you calculate it.

9. Sep 13, 2014 #8
    That would great, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook