Recommend books for dynamical systems?

In summary, the speaker is struggling with understanding some topics in their curriculum and is looking for book recommendations to clarify those topics. They mention week 8 and stability as particularly difficult, despite using two advanced engineering mathematics textbooks. They also express interest in downloading math notes but are unable to do so.
nacho-man
I am finding some topics a bit obscurely explained.
I have attached the curriculum/study guide we are using, and was hoping someone could suggest books which cover these bases.

Particularly finding week 8 a bit difficult at the moment, especially stability (surely just more robust revision and studying is required) but i haven't been successful in finding similar topics covered in textbooks.

I am using Kreyzig advanced engineering mathematics and also PV Oneil's advanced eng mathematics.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• topics.jpg
    topics.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 52
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks, I had a look at your notes prior as well.

Is there any way to download them?

nacho said:
thanks, I had a look at your notes prior as well.

Is there any way to download them?

No, it is setup so you can't.

I would recommend the following books for dynamical systems:

1. "Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos" by Steven H. Strogatz - This book provides a comprehensive introduction to dynamical systems, including topics such as stability, bifurcations, chaos, and applications in various fields.

2. "Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems, and Linear Algebra" by Morris W. Hirsch, Stephen Smale, and Robert L. Devaney - This book covers a wide range of topics in dynamical systems, including stability, bifurcations, and applications in biology and economics.

3. "Introduction to Applied Nonlinear Dynamical Systems and Chaos" by Stephen Wiggins - This book offers a more advanced treatment of dynamical systems, covering topics such as Lyapunov stability, chaos, and bifurcations in a clear and concise manner.

In addition to these books, I would also recommend looking into online resources such as lecture notes and video lectures from universities, as well as joining online forums and discussion groups for additional support and resources. It is important to also practice problems and work through examples to solidify your understanding of the material. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a dynamical system?

A dynamical system is a mathematical model that describes the evolution of a system over time. It involves a set of variables and equations that determine the behavior of the system.

2. Why are dynamical systems important in science?

Dynamical systems are important in science because they provide a framework for understanding complex systems and their behavior. They are used in various fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

3. What are some popular books on dynamical systems?

Some popular books on dynamical systems include "Chaos: Making a New Science" by James Gleick, "Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering" by Steven Strogatz, and "An Introduction to Dynamical Systems" by C. Robinson.

4. How can I apply dynamical systems to my research?

Dynamical systems can be applied to research by using mathematical models to study and analyze the behavior of complex systems. This can help in understanding the underlying mechanisms and predicting future behavior of the system.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about dynamical systems?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning about dynamical systems, including online courses, lecture notes, and tutorials. Some recommended websites include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Nonlinear Dynamics Web.