Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommendation on good Analysis textbook to supplement class

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    Just a quick question for those who have had plenty of exposure to Analysis.

Currently, I'm in an Analysis class. We are using Arthur Mattuck's "Introduction to Analysis" textbook. While I think it's a good book and I enjoy the class, I can't help to think that the teacher is watering down our class, especially when I looked at other Analysis textbooks. This semester, we covered Chp 1-15 (Pretty much everything but integration), as well as some topology, but I feel as if though this class is moving a bit slow.

Question is, does anyone have a recommendation for a good book which I can supplement my class? I heard Rudin's was good. I'm looking for something rigorous but readable.

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2
    if you are almost done with the class, rudin cannot hurt. The problems will help the most. Theres a lot of interesting stuff too - a nowhere differentiable continuous function and the reimann series theorem for example.

for a supplement this late in the semester it probably makes the most sense just to find good problems and to use wikipedia as a reference for definitions you are not aquainted with. this is easy to do, look at analysis exams (prelim grad exams as well). berkeley has a exam archive, 104 is their first analysis course. theres good stuff there.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?