Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommended books/papers in SUSY

1. Nov 17, 2015 #1
    Hey everyone!

I just wanted some advice in some user-friendly bibliography in SUSY (I have QFT background and GR too, I don't know if this is relevant but whatever...). My intention is to learn it on my own, maybe I can ask some questions to a professor.

Thank you in before!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2015 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

My favorite is the set of notes by Lambert. Imho very accesible. Bilal is also good, but a tougher nut to crack.

4. Nov 18, 2015 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

For an introduction to SUSY particle phenomenology, I recommend Martin
    http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9709356

For formal aspects of SUSY, no book provides more intermediate steps of calculation than Muller-Kirsten and Wiedemann
    https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Supersymmetry-Scientific-Lecture-Physics/dp/9814293423
    This is the only serious book on theoretical physics I know for which you don't need a pencil and paper.

If you want something free for formal aspects, then it's 1001
    http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0108200

5. Nov 18, 2015 #4
    Thank you both!

Maybe I should have specified a little more on my interests. I want to learn SUSY for a better understanding of the AdS/CFT correspondence, so I guess I don't really need the full machinery of the theory (I'm refering to the supersymmetric particles and that type of things), do I?

I will take a look at those references, thank you again!

6. Nov 18, 2015 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

7. Nov 18, 2015 #6

haushofer

Science Advisor

Well, it depends. Understanding means imho also 'being able to do calculations with it'. For that purpose you don't need to understand e.g. the MSSM, but N=4 SYM plays a crucial role in the AdS/CFT correspondence, so it's not a bad idea to understand this theory (e.g. why is it only consistent in certain dimensions? how does the algebra close on the fields? what are the multiplets?)

I'd say that if you want to understand SUSY properly, you can't avoid doing some explicit calculations and checks, and for that you need some technical stuff. Lambert's notes are perfect for that purpose and highly accessible.

Anyway, good luck! :)

8. Nov 18, 2015 #7
    Yeah, I do think so. What I meant is that I want to focus primarily on the main theoretical tools I need to learn in order to gain some insight of the correspondence and I will later learn the details.

To pose it this way: I want a "serious flavor" of what this is about (an intermediate point between a mere description with words and a full understanding of all the consequences, I will get to the latter point as I learn the whole picture)

TL; DR: I agree with you but I don't want to spend too much time on the details.

Thank you both, again!

9. Nov 21, 2015 #8
    No books. Don't study false models. Give your time to LQG instead.

10. Nov 22, 2015 #9
    Wow. What's the experimental way in which you determined that?

I think we shouldn't make such statements as if this was religion or logic.

Thank you for your time.

11. Nov 22, 2015 #10

You can simply read the lots of papers and datas about some typical particles decays that violate SUSY. So the experimental way was with experiments themselves.
    End of the conversation.

12. Nov 22, 2015 #11
    Would you please share that information? I'd like to take a look of that too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook