Recommended books/papers in SUSY

• Thread starter atboria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Susy
In summary, the conversation concerned user-friendly bibliography in SUSY. The person sought advice from others and wanted to learn the theory on their own. They were interested in the AdS/CFT correspondence and wanted to know more about the theory. They were recommended to read Lambert's notes and Muller-Kirsten and Wiedemann. If they wanted to understand the theory properly, they needed to do some calculations and checks.
atboria
Hey everyone!

I just wanted some advice in some user-friendly bibliography in SUSY (I have QFT background and GR too, I don't know if this is relevant but whatever...). My intention is to learn it on my own, maybe I can ask some questions to a professor.

Thank you in before!

Physics news on Phys.org
My favorite is the set of notes by Lambert. Imho very accesible. Bilal is also good, but a tougher nut to crack.

Likes atboria
For an introduction to SUSY particle phenomenology, I recommend Martin
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9709356

For formal aspects of SUSY, no book provides more intermediate steps of calculation than Muller-Kirsten and Wiedemann
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9814293423/?tag=pfamazon01-20
This is the only serious book on theoretical physics I know for which you don't need a pencil and paper.

If you want something free for formal aspects, then it's 1001
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0108200

Likes atboria
Thank you both!

Maybe I should have specified a little more on my interests. I want to learn SUSY for a better understanding of the AdS/CFT correspondence, so I guess I don't really need the full machinery of the theory (I'm referring to the supersymmetric particles and that type of things), do I?

I will take a look at those references, thank you again!

atboria said:
Thank you both!

Maybe I should have specified a little more on my interests. I want to learn SUSY for a better understanding of the AdS/CFT correspondence, so I guess I don't really need the full machinery of the theory (I'm referring to the supersymmetric particles and that type of things), do I?

I will take a look at those references, thank you again!
Well, it depends. Understanding means imho also 'being able to do calculations with it'. For that purpose you don't need to understand e.g. the MSSM, but N=4 SYM plays a crucial role in the AdS/CFT correspondence, so it's not a bad idea to understand this theory (e.g. why is it only consistent in certain dimensions? how does the algebra close on the fields? what are the multiplets?)

I'd say that if you want to understand SUSY properly, you can't avoid doing some explicit calculations and checks, and for that you need some technical stuff. Lambert's notes are perfect for that purpose and highly accessible.

Anyway, good luck! :)

Likes atboria
haushofer said:
Well, it depends. Understanding means imho also 'being able to do calculations with it'.

Yeah, I do think so. What I meant is that I want to focus primarily on the main theoretical tools I need to learn in order to gain some insight of the correspondence and I will later learn the details.

To pose it this way: I want a "serious flavor" of what this is about (an intermediate point between a mere description with words and a full understanding of all the consequences, I will get to the latter point as I learn the whole picture)

TL; DR: I agree with you but I don't want to spend too much time on the details.

Thank you both, again!

No books. Don't study false models. Give your time to LQG instead.

</Henry> said:
No books. Don't study false models. Give your time to LQG instead.

Wow. What's the experimental way in which you determined that?

I think we shouldn't make such statements as if this was religion or logic.

Thank you for your time.

atboria said:
Wow. What's the experimental way in which you determined that?

I think we shouldn't make such statements as if this was religion or logic.

Thank you for your time.
You can simply read the lots of papers and datas about some typical particles decays that violate SUSY. So the experimental way was with experiments themselves.
End of the conversation.

</Henry> said:
You can simply read the lots of papers and datas about some typical particles decays that violate SUSY. So the experimental way was with experiments themselves.
End of the conversation.

Would you please share that information? I'd like to take a look of that too.

1. What is SUSY and why is it important in physics?

SUSY (Supersymmetry) is a theoretical framework in particle physics that proposes a symmetry between fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and bosons (particles with integer spin). It is important because it addresses some of the problems in the Standard Model of particle physics and provides a potential solution to the hierarchy problem.

2. What are some recommended books for understanding SUSY?

Some recommended books for understanding SUSY include "Supersymmetry Demystified" by Patrick Labelle, "Supersymmetry: Theory, Experiment, and Cosmology" by Pierre Binetruy, and "Introduction to Supersymmetry" by Joseph D. Lykken.

3. Are there any recommended papers on SUSY that are considered groundbreaking?

Some groundbreaking papers on SUSY include "Supersymmetry and Supergravity" by Peter van Nieuwenhuizen and Daniel Z. Freedman, "The Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model" by Howard Baer and Xerxes Tata, and "Dynamical Supersymmetry Breaking" by Nathan Seiberg and Edward Witten.

4. How has research in SUSY evolved over time?

Research in SUSY has evolved significantly since its inception in the 1970s. Initially, it was primarily focused on theoretical developments, but in recent decades, experimental efforts have also played a significant role. The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 has also had a significant impact on the direction of SUSY research.

5. What are some current research topics in SUSY?

Some current research topics in SUSY include exploring the implications of SUSY for dark matter, investigating the role of SUSY in the hierarchy problem, and studying the connections between SUSY and string theory. Other areas of interest include the search for new particles predicted by SUSY and the development of new techniques for testing SUSY experimentally.