1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectangle inscribed in generic ellipse

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Largest possible area of a rectangle inscribed in the ellipse (x2/a2)+(y2/b2)=1

2. Relevant equations
    Area of the rectangle = length*height

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have it set up so that the four corners of the rectangle are at (x,y) (-x,y) (-x,-y) (x,-y) and that area therefore is A=(2x)(2y).
    In order to find the max area, I know I need to differentiate the equation, so I need to eliminate either x or y.
    Using the ellipse equation, I found x to be equal to sqrt(a2-(y2a2)/b2).
    Substituting that into the area equation I get:
    A=2(sqrt(a2-(y2a2)/b2))*(2y).

And differentiating that has been a nightmare and I haven't gotten it right yet. I know a and b are constants, and become one in the derivative.

But is there any easier way of solving this problem?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looks to me like "Laplace multipliers" would make this much simpler. You have an ellipse of the form b2x2+ a2y2= a2b2. I notice you are assuming that the maximal area rectangle has its sides parallel to the axes of the ellipse. I'm not sure that follows easily but I can't see any more general way of doing this. You want to maximize A(xy)= xy with the constraint F(x,y)= b2x2+ a2y2= a2.
    [itex]\nabla A= y\vec{i}+ x\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\nabla F= 2b^2x\vec{i}+ 2a^2y\vec{j}[/itex].

One must be a multiple of the other.

4. Oct 25, 2008 #3
    I'm just in calculus BC and am not familiar with 'laplace multipliers' how does that work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?