Rectangle inscribed in ellipse

In summary, the largest rectangle that can be inscribed in the ellipse x^2 + 4y^2 = 4 has dimensions of 2sqrt(2) and sqrt(2), with an area of 4. The major axis of the ellipse is along the x-axis, and the minor axis is along the y-axis, with vertices at (+/-2, 0) and (0, +/-1).
shanshan

Homework Statement

Find the dimensions of the largest rectangle with sides parallel to the axes that can be inscribed in the ellipse x^2 + 4y^2 = 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I simplified the equation of the ellipse into the ellipse formula:
x^2/4 + y^2 = 1
Then I manipulated the equation to isolate y:
y = (sqrt(4-x^2)/2)
Then, since the area of the rectangle can be divided into four equal parts with equal length and width, I substituted my y into my area formula, a = 4xy:
a = 2x(sqrt(4-x^2))
Now I find the derivative of my area...
a' = (8-4x^2)/sqrt(4-x^2)
... Set it equal to 0 to find my maximum value for x:
(4(2-x^2))/sqrt(4-x^2) = 0
And find that x is equal to sqrt(2). (which is the right answer, now I just need y)
Then, I substituted my value for x back into my area formula (a = 4x(sqrt(4-x^2)/2)))
4(sqrt(2))(sqrt(4-(sqrt(2))^2)/2)
and end up with my area as 4.
Then I substituted both this area and my x value back into my area formula, a = 4xy:
4 = 4(sqrt(2))y
and find that y is equal to 4. However, the back of my book tells me that I should have y = 2sqrt(2).
I have looked it over several times and cannot find my mistake. Help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shanshan said:

Homework Statement

Find the dimensions of the largest rectangle with sides parallel to the axes that can be inscribed in the ellipse x^2 + 4y^2 = 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x^2/4 + y^2 = 1
y = (sqrt(4-x^2)/2)
Then, since the area of the rectangle can be divided into four equal parts with equal length and width, I substituted my y into my area formula, a = 4xy:
a = 2x(sqrt(4-x^2))
And find that x is equal to sqrt(2). (which is the right answer, now I just need y)
Then, I substituted my value for x back into my area formula (a = 4x(sqrt(4-x^2)/2)))
Then I substituted both this area and my x value back into my area formula, a = 4xy:
4 = 4(sqrt(2))y
and find that y is equal to 1/sqrt(2). However, the back of my book tells me that I should have y = 2sqrt(2).
I have looked it over several times and cannot find my mistake. Help would be much appreciated!
Make life easier on yourself, and just maximize the area of the the portion of the rectangle in the first quadrant. Due to the symmetry of the rectangle and the ellipse, the values of x and y that maximize that rectangle will also maximize the area of the larger rectangle, whose area is 4 times that of the smaller rectangle.

Okay, I will keep that in mind for next time...
But either way, I come out with the same answer, y = 4.
I'm thinking maybe the answer key is wrong, I've done this question so many times!

shanshan said:
x^2/4 + y^2 = 1
y = (sqrt(4-x^2)/2)
a = 2x(sqrt(4-x^2))
4 = 4(sqrt(2))y
and find that y is equal to 4.
Mistake above. 4 = 4*sqrt(2)*y ==> y = 1/sqrt(2) = sqrt(2)/2

So if x = sqrt(2) and y = sqrt(2)/2, then A = 4xy = 4*sqrt(2)*sqrt(2)/2 = 4
shanshan said:
However, the back of my book tells me that I should have y = 2sqrt(2).
If the book has this, then it's wrong. The dimensions of the rectangle are 2x = 2sqrt(2) and 2y = sqrt(2). The ellipse has its major axis along the x-axis and its minor axis along the y-axis. The vertices of the ellipse are at (+/-2, 0) and (0, +/-1).

Okay. I had sqrt(2)/2 on my sheet as my answer, I guess I just typed it wrong.
But Thankyou!

1. What is a rectangle inscribed in an ellipse?

A rectangle inscribed in an ellipse is a rectangle that is contained within the boundaries of an ellipse, with its four corners touching the ellipse's edges.

2. How is the area of a rectangle inscribed in an ellipse calculated?

The area of a rectangle inscribed in an ellipse can be calculated by multiplying the length of the rectangle by its width. However, this will only give an estimate of the actual area as the rectangle is not perfectly aligned with the ellipse's axes.

3. Can a rectangle inscribed in an ellipse have different orientations?

Yes, a rectangle inscribed in an ellipse can have different orientations, meaning that it can be rotated at different angles within the ellipse. This will affect the dimensions and area of the rectangle.

4. What is the maximum area that a rectangle can have when inscribed in an ellipse?

The maximum area that a rectangle can have when inscribed in an ellipse is when the rectangle is aligned with the ellipse's axes, meaning that its sides are parallel to the ellipse's major and minor axes. In this case, the rectangle's area will be equal to the area of the ellipse.

5. How can a rectangle inscribed in an ellipse be useful in real-world applications?

A rectangle inscribed in an ellipse is useful in many real-world applications, such as in architecture and design. It can also be used in computer graphics to create different shapes and patterns. Additionally, the concept of a rectangle inscribed in an ellipse is important in understanding the properties of ellipses and their relationship to other shapes.