Optimization of ellipse surrounding a circle

So you have two constraints for the price of one. (This is still a bit informal because we still don't know if the LHS IS maximized at x=0 and x=2, but it is good intuition)In summary, the problem can be solved by first solving an auxiliary optimization problem to turn the infinitely many constraints into a single one, and then applying methods such as Lagrange multipliers to find the values of a and b that minimize the area of the ellipse. It is also noted that the constraints can be simplified since the LHS must be less than or equal to 1 for all x in the range [0,2].
TyroneTheDino

Homework Statement

Consider the ellipse ##\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}}=1## that encloses the circle ##x^{2}+y^{2}=2x##. Find the values of a and b that minimize the area of the ellipse.

Homework Equations

##Area=ab\pi##

The Attempt at a Solution

I begin by completing the square of the circle equation to get:

##(x-1)^2+y^2=1##

I note that this circle is centered at (1,0). I know that a>b for a minimal area where the ellipse will touch the circle at 2 points, and if that is so, then a=x of the circle.

I know I need to find a quadratic equation for x in terms of a and b by eliminating y^2. Then derive the ellipse and circle equation implicitly, and set them equal to each other.

After an attempt of using these directions i get:

An ellipse equation of
##\frac{x^{2}}{a^2}+\frac{-(x-1)^2+1}{b^2}=1##
and the circle equation: ##y^2=-(x-1)^2+1##

I hesitate to derive them because I think I'm missing a concept, but if these equations were correct I would derive them and set them equal to each other to find a relation between a and b.

I am not sure if I am on wrong track, but please don't hesitate to tell me if I am misunderstanding a step.

Physics news on Phys.org
TyroneTheDino said:

Homework Statement

Consider the ellipse ##\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}}=1## that encloses the circle ##x^{2}+y^{2}=2x##. Find the values of a and b that minimize the area of the ellipse.

Homework Equations

##Area=ab\pi##

The Attempt at a Solution

I begin by completing the square of the circle equation to get:

##(x-1)^2+y^2=1##

I note that this circle is centered at (1,0). I know that a>b for a minimal area where the ellipse will touch the circle at 2 points, and if that is so, then a=x of the circle.

I know I need to find a quadratic equation for x in terms of a and b by eliminating y^2. Then derive the ellipse and circle equation implicitly, and set them equal to each other.

After an attempt of using these directions i get:

An ellipse equation of
##\frac{x^{2}}{a^2}+\frac{-(x-1)^2+1}{b^2}=1##
and the circle equation: ##y^2=-(x-1)^2+1##

I hesitate to derive them because I think I'm missing a concept, but if these equations were correct I would derive them and set them equal to each other to find a relation between a and b.

I am not sure if I am on wrong track, but please don't hesitate to tell me if I am misunderstanding a step.

You have a problem of the form
[tex] \begin{array}{l}\min_{a,b} \pi a b\\
\text{subject to}\\
\displaystyle \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{1-(x-1)^2}{b^2} \leq 1 \; \forall x \in [0,2]
\end{array} [/tex]
This arises because any point ##(x,y)## on the circle must be inside or on the boundary of the elliptical region ##x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 \leq 1##.

As written, you have infinitely many constraints, one for each ##x## in the range ##[0,2]##. In other words, you have infinitely many constraints of the form ##f(x,a,b) \leq 1## for all ##x##. Can you think of first solving an auxiliary optimization problem to turn this infinite number of constraints into a single constraint on ##a,b##? (Hint: it can be done.)

Then you will have a simpler optimization problem of the form
[tex] \begin{array}{l}\min_{a,b} \pi a b \\
\text{subject to} \\
g(a,b) = 0 \end{array} [/tex]
for some relatively nice function ##g(a,b)##. At that point you can apply various methods, such as Lagrange multipliers, to finish the problem.

Ray Vickson said:
\text{subject to}\\
\displaystyle \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{1-(x-1)^2}{b^2} \leq 1 \; \forall x \in [0,2]
\end{array} [/tex]
This arises because any point ##(x,y)## on the circle must be inside or on the boundary of the elliptical region ##x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 \leq 1##.

As written, you have infinitely many constraints, one for each ##x## in the range ##[0,2]##. In other words, you have infinitely many constraints of the form ##f(x,a,b) \leq 1## for all ##x##. Can you think of first solving an auxiliary optimization problem to turn this infinite number of constraints into a single constraint on ##a,b##? (Hint: it can be done.)

\text{subject to} \\
for some relatively nice function ##g(a,b)##. At that point you can apply various methods, such as Lagrange multipliers, to finish the problem.

How exactly would I solve an auxiliary optimization to turn into a single restraint?

Ray Vickson said:
\text{subject to}\\
\end{array} [/tex]

\text{subject to} \\

Also how do we know that the circle and ellipse are in the range [0,2] for x values?

I think he's trying to say: If the LHS<=1 for all x in [0,2] , then in particular we have Max(over x) of the LHS <=1...

davidmoore63@y said:
I think he's trying to say: If the LHS<=1 for all x in [0,2] , then in particular we have Max(over x) of the LHS <=1...

I don't think I'm following that relationship either. How am I supposed to know the relationship between the ellipse and the circle.

davidmoore63@y said:
Ray Vickson said:
\text{subject to}\\
\end{array} [/tex]

\text{subject to} \\
I know this problem is emulative of https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...area-of-an-ellipse-enclosing-a-circle.270437/ this one however I am just getting into multivariable differentiation so this is very confusing to me.

How about since
##\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1##
##(x-1)^2+y^2=1##

Can I set each side equal to each other or should I solve for y^2 of the circle equation to plug into the ellipse equation.

TyroneTheDino said:
Also how do we know that the circle and ellipse are in the range [0,2] for x values?

Draw a circle of radius 1, centered at (1,0). What are the x-values you can have on the circle?

I never, anywhere, said that the ellipse can extend only over 0 <= x <= 2; in fact, it can extend out to x = 10 million if you want it to. All I said was that the part of the ellipse lying between x = 0 and x = 2 must be outside the circle, and I put that mathematically in terms of an inequality constraint.

As for telling you what to do next: I am not allowed to do that, by PF rules.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of optimizing an ellipse surrounding a circle?

The purpose of optimizing an ellipse surrounding a circle is to find the most efficient and effective way to enclose a given circle. This can have applications in various fields such as engineering, mathematics, and computer graphics.

2. How is the optimization of an ellipse surrounding a circle typically done?

The optimization of an ellipse surrounding a circle is typically done using mathematical equations and algorithms. It involves finding the parameters of the ellipse, such as its center, semi-major and semi-minor axes, that minimize the distance between the ellipse and the circle while still enclosing it.

3. What are some real-world applications of optimizing an ellipse surrounding a circle?

Some real-world applications of optimizing an ellipse surrounding a circle include designing efficient satellite orbits, creating aesthetically pleasing logos and graphics, and optimizing the shape of car headlights for maximum coverage and visibility.

4. Are there any limitations to optimizing an ellipse surrounding a circle?

Yes, there are some limitations to optimizing an ellipse surrounding a circle. One limitation is that the optimization process may result in an ellipse that is not a perfect fit for the circle, as the goal is to minimize distance rather than achieve a perfect fit. Additionally, the optimization may be affected by the initial parameters chosen and may not always result in a unique solution.

5. How does optimizing an ellipse surrounding a circle relate to other optimization problems?

Optimizing an ellipse surrounding a circle is a specific type of optimization problem known as a geometric optimization problem. It involves finding the optimal shape and size of a geometric figure to fulfill a specific objective. Other types of optimization problems include linear programming, nonlinear programming, and combinatorial optimization.