Rectilinear motion of two attracting masses

In summary: Oh, right. I don't know what I was thinking. So for the conservation of energy, that equation would look more like:1/2 mv12 + 1/2 Mv22 - GMm/ r = c (constant)(I'm including the kinetic energies of both masses because gravitational potential energy is written in terms of M and m )The problem now is that we have two velocities to describe the change in r.Would I be correct in saying that abs (v1) + abs (v2) = dr/dt ?In the future, I may try to find dr/dt as a function of t. What would you consider to be a good starting point for... that kind of thing
H. Leone

Homework Statement

Consider two masses of variable magnitude (M m) that are separated by a distance ( r ). Both masses are free to move. Calculate dr/dt.

Homework Equations

(See below)

The Attempt at a Solution

F = GMm / r2
a = Gm / r2
let k = Gm
da/dr = -2kr-3
dr/da = (-2k)-1 r3
dr/da * da/dt = dr/dt

Just need to solve for da/dt and I don't know how to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you have stated the question correctly? I would expect it to ask for d2r/dt2. There is no way to know dr/dt without further information.
The acceleration you found, Gm/r2, is only for mass M.

haruspex said:
Are you sure you have stated the question correctly? I would expect it to ask for d2r/dt2. There is no way to know dr/dt without further information.
The acceleration you found, Gm/r2, is only for mass M.

As far as stating the equation, I honestly can't say if I've done it correctly. The question is a matter of personal interest and didn't come from any textbook. I apologise for that. I just wanted to find a relationship between the time elapsed and the distance between two unbound masses. I find it really peculiar how you can solve for d2r/dt2 and not dr/dt. Why is that exactly? You said you needed more information. Would it help at all if we said that both masses were stationary at t=0?

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

H. Leone said:
I find it really peculiar how you can solve for d2r/dt2 and not dr/dt.
You can solve for dr/dt. The simplest is to find dr/dt as a function of r. You can use conservation of energy for that. Or you can derive it from the force=mass*acceleration equation using (d/dt)(v) = (dr/dt)(d/dr)(v) = v dv/dr. Finding dr/dt as a function of t (or r as a function of t) is harder.
H. Leone said:
You said you needed more information. Would it help at all if we said that both masses were stationary at t=0?
Yes and no. Your original formulation asked for dr/dt as a function of r. Knowing dr/dt at a given t does not help since we don't what what r is at that time. If you specify dr/dt at some initial r then you can find dr/dt as a function of r. If you want to know r or dr/dt as a function of t then you need an initial r and an initial t.

haruspex said:
You can solve for dr/dt. The simplest is to find dr/dt as a function of r. You can use conservation of energy for that. Or you can derive it from the force=mass*acceleration equation using (d/dt)(v) = (dr/dt)(d/dr)(v) = v dv/dr. Finding dr/dt as a function of t (or r as a function of t) is harder.

Yes and no. Your original formulation asked for dr/dt as a function of r. Knowing dr/dt at a given t does not help since we don't what what r is at that time. If you specify dr/dt at some initial r then you can find dr/dt as a function of r. If you want to know r or dr/dt as a function of t then you need an initial r and an initial t.

Oh neat! I hadn't considered conservation of energy. So something like this?

1/2 mv2 = -GMm / r
I'm cancelling out the mass (m) out from both sides because I can, but I don't know if I should.
1/2 v2 = -GM/r
let k = -GM
v = (2k/r)0.5
Where v is presumably dr/dt? In your second method you seem to distinguish between dr/dt and v, leading me to think that I'm incorrect here.

Also, a question regarding syntax: how is "dr/dt as a function of r," different from "dr/dt as a function of t?"

H. Leone said:
Oh neat! I hadn't considered conservation of energy. So something like this?
1/2 mv2 = -GMm / r
no, that's saying KE=PE. Conservation says the total is constant (need not be zero, or even positive).
H. Leone said:
Where v is presumably dr/dt? In your second method you seem to distinguish between dr/dt and v, leading me to think that I'm incorrect here.
No, dr/dt is the same as v. Just used v to make the notation easier.
H. Leone said:
Also, a question regarding syntax: how is "dr/dt as a function of r," different from "dr/dt as a function of t?"
dr/dt = sin(r) would be a differential equation with dr/dt as a function of r; dr/dt=kt would be one with dr/dt as a function of t. In the present problem, you can readily find out how dr/dt depends on r, but it is much harder to find how it depends on t.

haruspex said:
no, that's saying KE=PE. Conservation says the total is constant (need not be zero, or even positive).

No, dr/dt is the same as v. Just used v to make the notation easier.

dr/dt = sin(r) would be a differential equation with dr/dt as a function of r; dr/dt=kt would be one with dr/dt as a function of t. In the present problem, you can readily find out how dr/dt depends on r, but it is much harder to find how it depends on t.

Oh, right. I don't know what I was thinking. So for the conservation of energy, that equation would look more like:

1/2 mv12 + 1/2 Mv22 - GMm/ r = c (constant)
(I'm including the kinetic energies of both masses because gravitational potential energy is written in terms of M and m )
The problem now is that we have two velocities to describe the change in r.
Would I be correct in saying that abs (v1) + abs (v2) = dr/dt ?

In the future, I may try to find dr/dt as a function of t. What would you consider to be a good starting point for that?

H. Leone said:

Yes. This equation can produced by time derivation of
H. Leone said:
1/2 mv12 + 1/2 Mv22 - GMm/ r = c (constant)

theodoros.mihos said:
Yes. This equation can produced by time derivation of
I don't see how.
H. Leone said:
The problem now is that we have two velocities to describe the change in r.
Not quite. dr/dt can be negative, and the two velocities could have opposite signs. That equation covers neither of those cases.

haruspex said:
I don't see how.
##x_1##, ##x_2##, ##r## are functions of time.

theodoros.mihos said:
##x_1##, ##x_2##, ##r## are functions of time.
Sure, but if you differentiate the energy equation m, M and G are not going to disappear. So how will you deduce an equation that contains none of those? The relationship between the two velocities and dr/dt is purely kinematic. It owes nothing to forces.

Disapear because ##F_1+F_2=0## by 3o Newton's Law.

theodoros.mihos said:
Disapear because ##F_1+F_2=0## by 3o Newton's Law.
The relationship between the two velocities and dr/dt has nothing to do with Newton's Laws. It is a simple fact of geometry and kinematics. You could change the gravitational law (and, consistently, energy conservation etc.) and the relationship would still hold. If you have a way of obtaining that relationship by differentiating the energy equation please post it, preferably in a private mail, not on this thread. I can imagine a way, but it goes something like this:
- differentiate the energy equation with respect to distance, so a force equation
- Apply N3 so that what you should end up with is 0=0, but along the way use kinematics to feed in the relationship between the velocities and the distance, and
- voila, all you have left is that kinematic relationship

This is fascinating stuff. It's pretty clear to me that I've got a lot more to learn in way of calculus and mechanics.
Thank you all for the responses!

The two objects accelerate towards a common center of mass. Let m1 be on the left accelerating to the right, and m2 on the right accelerating to the left.

a1 = F/m1 = (G m1 m2 / r) / m1 = G m2 / r2
a2 = F/m1 = -( G m1 m2 / r) / m2 = - G m1 / r2
a2 = a1 (a2 / a1) = (-m1/m2)a1
v2 = v1 (v2 / v1) = (-m1/m2)v1
let v = rate of closure = v2 - v1 = (-m1/m2)v1 - v1 = - (1 + m1/m2)v1 = -((m1 + m2)/m2)v1
v1 = -m2/(m1+m2) v
v2 = -(m1/m2) v1 = -(m1/m2)(-m2/(m1+m2)) v = m1/(m1+m2) v
Let r0 = initial distance:
1/2 m1 v12 + 1/2 m2 v22 = G m1 m2 / r - G m1 m2 / r0 = G m1 m2 (r0 - r)/(r0 r) =
1/2 m1 (v m2/(m1+m2))2 + 1/2 m2 (v m1/(m1+m2))2 = G m1 m2 (r0 - r)/(r0 r)
1/2 (v/(m1 + m2))2 ((m1 m22) + (m12 m2)) = G m1 m2 (r0 - r)/(r0 r)
1/2 (v/(m1 + m2))2 (m1 + m2) = G (r0 - r)/(r0 r)
1/2 v2 / (m1 + m2) = G (r0 - r)/(r0 r)
1/2 v2 = G (m1 + m2) (r0 - r)/(r0 r)
v = - sqrt(2 G (m1 + m2) / r0) sqrt((r0 - r) / r)

Alternate method:
let a = d(dr/dt)/dt = a2 - a1
a = -G (m1 + m2 ) / r2
use chain rule to get to v as a function of r based on v(r(t))
a = dv/dt = (dv/dr)(dr/dt) = v dv/dr
v dv/dr = -G (m1 + m2 ) / r2
v dv = -G (m1 + m2 ) dr / r2
integrate and use - G (m1 + m2 ) / r0 as constant
1/2 v^2 = G (m1 + m2 ) / r - G (m1 + m2 ) / r0 = G (m1 + m2 ) (r0 - r)/(r0 r)
v = - sqrt(2 G (m1 + m2) / r0) sqrt((r0 - r) / r)

Contuning from here leads to a tricky integral:
v = dr/dt = -sqrt(2 G (m1 + m2) / r0) sqrt((r0 - r) / r)
##- \ \sqrt{\frac{r_0}{2 G (m1 + m1)}} \sqrt{\frac{r}{r_0-r}} dr = dt##
one method is to define θ as
##r = r_0 \ sin^2(θ)##
##dr = 2\ r_0 \ sin(θ)\ cos(θ) dθ##
##θ = {sin^{-1}\left ( \sqrt{\frac{r}{r_0}} \right )}##
##\sqrt{\frac{r}{r_0-r}} = \sqrt{\frac{r_0 \ sin^2(θ)}{r_0-r_0 \ sin^2(θ)}} = \sqrt{\frac{r_0 \ sin^2(θ)}{r_0(1\ -\ sin^2(θ))}} = \sqrt{\frac{r_0 \ sin^2(θ)}{r_0\ cos^2(θ)}} = tan(θ)##
resulting in
##-\sqrt{\frac{r_0}{2 \ G \ (m1 + m1)}} \ (2 \ r_0 \ sin^2(θ)) dθ = dt##
##t = -\frac{{r_0}^{3/2}}{\sqrt{2 \ G \ (m1 + m2)}} \int_{θ_0}^{θ_1}2 \ sin^2(θ) dθ = -\frac{{r_0}^{3/2}}{\sqrt{2 \ G \ (m1 +m2)}} \left [ θ \ -\ sin(θ)cos(θ) \right ]_{θ_0}^{θ_1}##

Last edited:

1. What is rectilinear motion of two attracting masses?

Rectilinear motion of two attracting masses refers to the movement of two objects along a straight line towards each other due to the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect rectilinear motion of two attracting masses?

The factors that affect rectilinear motion of two attracting masses are the masses of the objects, the distance between them, and the gravitational constant.

3. How is the acceleration of two attracting masses calculated?

The acceleration of two attracting masses can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the acceleration is directly proportional to the product of the masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What is the relationship between the velocity and acceleration of two attracting masses?

The velocity and acceleration of two attracting masses are directly related, as an increase in acceleration will result in an increase in velocity and vice versa.

5. How does the direction of motion change in rectilinear motion of two attracting masses?

The direction of motion in rectilinear motion of two attracting masses is constantly changing as the objects move towards each other, resulting in a curved path known as an orbit.