Rectilinear vs Curvilinear Motion: Explained

In summary, the statement is discussing the motion of an object O in two different reference frames, one being an inertial reference frame (K) and the other being an accelerated reference frame (K'). In the inertial frame, O is performing rectilinear motion, meaning it is moving in a straight line. However, in the accelerated frame, O's motion appears to be curvilinear due to the contraction of spacetime. This is because in the accelerated frame, the body passing by another body has no place to go but to curve in order to avoid collision. This can be seen in a spacetime diagram where a straight line in an inertial frame becomes a curved line in an accelerated frame.
SpaceExplorer
If an object O is performing rectilinear motion w.r.t a Galilian body of reference K then w.r.t an accelerated body of reference K', O performs 'curvilinear' motion... What I ask for is a detailed explanation of this statement.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a detailed explanation but instinctively, I would say that since the spacetime is contracting, the body passing by the other body as no place to go but to go before you. In that case, that body accelerating cannot do anything but to curve light and from your point of view, it's a "curvilinear' motion.

What part of the statement are you having problems with?
body of reference (=reference frame)?
Galilean reference frame?
rectilinear motion?

For example, if you have a trajectory x=vt, y=0 in an inertial reference frame, how would it look in the frame t'=t, x'=x, y'=y-a/2*t² (which is an accelerated frame in pre-relativistic mechanics)?

Hope you don’t mind if I put the question in my own words first.

Given:
Three people start out together. Person ‘B’ is traveling at constant velocity in the x-direction with respect to Person ‘A’. Person ‘C’ is accelerating in the y-direction with respect to Person ‘A’.

Question:
What will the motion of Person ‘C’ be with respect to Person ‘B’?

Answer:
A curve in the x-y plane. (as you probably already suspect)

Thanks 'Mikelizzi', for your reply which changed my interpretation of the statement... My prev's interp'n was that the body 'C' is accelerating in the same dir'n as is the motion of body 'B' w.r.t A... So for my 1st interpretation, would the movement of C would still look Curvilinear to B, or will it be rectilinear?

Draw a spacetime diagram, i.e. a graph of distance against time. If you have a straight-line graph relative to an inertial frame, you'll have a curved graph relative to an accelerating frame.

1. What is the difference between rectilinear and curvilinear motion?

Rectilinear motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, while curvilinear motion refers to the movement of an object along a curved path.

2. Which type of motion is more common in everyday life?

Rectilinear motion is more common in everyday life, as most objects tend to move in straight lines rather than along curved paths.

3. What are some examples of rectilinear and curvilinear motion?

A car driving on a straight road is an example of rectilinear motion, while a roller coaster moving along a curved track is an example of curvilinear motion.

4. How is velocity affected in rectilinear vs curvilinear motion?

In rectilinear motion, the velocity remains constant unless acted upon by an external force, while in curvilinear motion, the velocity can change due to changes in direction or speed along the curved path.

5. Can an object exhibit both rectilinear and curvilinear motion at the same time?

Yes, an object can exhibit both types of motion simultaneously. For example, a car driving on a winding road will have both rectilinear motion along the straight sections and curvilinear motion along the curved sections of the road.