1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Recursion relation convergence

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the sequence [tex]\left x_{n}\{\right\}[/tex] defined by the recursion relation,

[tex] x_{n+1} = \frac{1}{2} \left( x_{n} + \frac{2}{x_{n}} \right) [/tex]

where x0 > 0.

Use the fact that "if a sequence of real numbers is monotonically decreasing and
    bounded from below, then it converges" to prove that the sequence converges.

Show that it converges to [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No ideas? How about the idea of doing what the hint says?

1) Prove the sequence is increasing. Use "proof by induction" to show that [itex]x_{n+1}\ge x_n[/itex] for all n.

2) Prove that the sequence has an upper bound. Again, use "proof by induction to show that [itex]x_n< 2[/itex] for all n.

4. Sep 5, 2010 #3
    This is what I have found so far:

[tex]x_{n+1} < x_{n}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}\left( x_{n} + \frac{2}{x_{n}} \right) < 2x_{n}[/tex]
    [tex]x_{n} > \sqrt{2}[/tex]

But I have n't used induction to show that the sequence is bounded below by [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] :confused:

Now, I have to show that the sequence is monotonically decreasing (by induction, as you say).

But how I prove the [tex] x_{n+1} \leq x_{n}[/tex] for n = 1 (to begin with)?:confused:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook