Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Redshift data on stars the same distance from earth

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1
    Can anyone in the cosmology community direct me to hard research data that specifically demonstrates: there is no detectable redshift difference in stars that are the same distance from the earth but in all different directions. This is of course related to 'does the universe have a preferred direction of expansion', the literature of which I find on google does not provide data, just brief conclusions. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2016 #2
    Individual stars tend to be visible within our galaxy but there is no expansion of such bound objects. Nearby galaxies have the majority of their red- or blue-shift determined by local motions. It's only when you get to more distant galaxies that cosmological redshift starts to dominate, and by then you cannot make out individual stars. Again their motion would be principally that within the galaxy, what you need to do is measure the average for the whole galaxy.

For hard data on galactic redshifts, I would suggest you start with the SIMBAD database but there are others. Once you know what details you want, you can get more specific advice on search criteria.

4. Oct 27, 2016 #3

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Oct 28, 2016 #4
    Thank you so much, George. This is incredible and helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted