Reduce Kinetic Energy Losses when Two Objects Collide

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for reducing the loss of kinetic energy in collisions, specifically between iron balls and between a plastic ball and the floor. The person has tried using a more elastic fabric on the floor, but it had little effect. They also mention that changing the composition of the ball or the structure of the floor could potentially help.
Lukeblackhill
I'd like to know which methods I could use to reduce the loss of kinetic energy when two iron balls collide, or when a plastic ball collides with the floor after a free fall. I have tried to cover the floor with a fabric that would make it more elastic, but it had a small effect (if it hat effect at all). The general case is the loss of a considerable amount of mechanical energy with the "crack" sound between the two surfaces. All the solutions I thought would help reduce the sound energy, but would involve bodies whose internal vibration in the collision (bodies who suffer considerable deformation), and the result is practically the same. My goal is to transfer the maximum of the momentum of m1 to m2, or to make m1, colliding with the floor, to bounce back as high as it can.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you vary the composition of the ball? I'm thinking of so -called live rubber balls or super-balls.

anorlunda said:
Can you vary the composition of the ball? I'm thinking of so -called live rubber balls or super-balls.
I'll try the super-balls, @anorlunda Thank you!

Lukeblackhill said:
I'll try the super-balls, @anorlunda Thank you!
Also, look at the floor structure. A thick (massive) concrete floor or slab can work far better than wooden floorboards.

1. How can kinetic energy losses be reduced when two objects collide?

Kinetic energy losses can be reduced by increasing the elasticity of the objects or by decreasing the amount of friction between them.

2. Why is reducing kinetic energy losses important?

Reducing kinetic energy losses is important because it means that more energy is conserved and less is wasted. This can lead to more efficient and effective interactions between objects.

3. What factors affect kinetic energy losses during a collision?

The factors that affect kinetic energy losses include the elasticity of the objects, the speed and angle of the collision, and any external forces acting on the objects.

4. How can the elasticity of objects be increased to reduce kinetic energy losses?

The elasticity of objects can be increased by using materials that are more elastic, such as rubber or springs, or by designing the objects to have a more elastic shape.

5. Are there any real-world applications for reducing kinetic energy losses in collisions?

Yes, reducing kinetic energy losses is important in many real-world applications, such as in car collisions, sports equipment design, and industrial machinery. It can also be important in areas like renewable energy, where minimizing energy losses is key to maximizing efficiency.