1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ref. index of differnet concentrations of glucose

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    is there a site with this? i want to see how the ref. index. of a soln of glucose varies with concentration.

can someone tell me if my prediction that as concentration increase, ref. index increases is correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Nov 8, 2006 #3
    Thanks a lot again.

One more question: you know with my value of refractie index i worked out. if i want to measure the speed of light in the medium, i know the equation is refractive index = (speed of light / speed of light in liquid) and I know you can rearrange that.

but for the "speed of light", do i use the speed of light in air? or vacuum? bearing in mind my experiment (lens),

5. Nov 8, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use speed of light in a vacuum. Even air has an index of refraction that is slightly different than 1. As a pracitical matter, if you measure the index of refraction relative to "air" it will be the same as relative to vacuum to the level of accuracy you are likely to achieve. Unless you need fantastic precision, you can assume light travels the same speed in air as in a vacuum.

6. Nov 9, 2006 #5
    Ok, thank you for all the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?