Ref. index of differnet concentrations of glucose

In summary, the conversation was about finding a website with information on how the refractive index of a solution of glucose varies with concentration. The person also asked if their prediction that as concentration increases, the refractive index also increases is correct. Another question was about measuring the speed of light in the medium using the refractive index and whether to use the speed of light in air or vacuum. The response was to use the speed of light in a vacuum, as it is more accurate. The conversation ended with a thank you for all the help.
is there a site with this? i want to see how the ref. index. of a soln of glucose varies with concentration.

can someone tell me if my prediction that as concentration increase, ref. index increases is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot again.

One more question: you know with my value of refractie index i worked out. if i want to measure the speed of light in the medium, i know the equation is refractive index = (speed of light / speed of light in liquid) and I know you can rearrange that.

but for the "speed of light", do i use the speed of light in air? or vacuum? bearing in mind my experiment (lens),

blackcat said:
Thanks a lot again.

One more question: you know with my value of refractie index i worked out. if i want to measure the speed of light in the medium, i know the equation is refractive index = (speed of light / speed of light in liquid) and I know you can rearrange that.

but for the "speed of light", do i use the speed of light in air? or vacuum? bearing in mind my experiment (lens),
Use speed of light in a vacuum. Even air has an index of refraction that is slightly different than 1. As a pracitical matter, if you measure the index of refraction relative to "air" it will be the same as relative to vacuum to the level of accuracy you are likely to achieve. Unless you need fantastic precision, you can assume light travels the same speed in air as in a vacuum.

Ok, thank you for all the help!

What is the refractive index of glucose?

The refractive index of glucose varies depending on its concentration. At a concentration of 0%, the refractive index is 1.333. As the concentration increases, the refractive index also increases, with a maximum value of 1.361 at 40% concentration.

How is the refractive index of glucose measured?

The refractive index of glucose can be measured using a refractometer. This instrument measures the bending of light as it passes through a solution of glucose, and calculates the refractive index based on this measurement.

What is the relationship between glucose concentration and refractive index?

As the concentration of glucose increases, the refractive index also increases. This relationship is linear up to a concentration of 40%, after which the refractive index begins to level off.

Can the refractive index of glucose be used to determine its concentration?

Yes, the refractive index of glucose can be used to determine its concentration. By measuring the refractive index and comparing it to a known calibration curve, the concentration of glucose in a solution can be determined.

Why is the refractive index of glucose important in scientific research?

The refractive index of glucose is important in scientific research because it can be used to measure the concentration of glucose in a solution. This is useful in various fields such as biochemistry, food science, and medicine, where accurate measurements of glucose concentration are necessary.

Back