Really simple and quick question about optics

• Thread starter loginorsinup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, ZnSe is a II-VI semiconductor with a cauchy expression for refractive index in the range of 1-11 μm. The coefficients n-2, n0, n2, and n4 can be found by converting the units of λ from micrometers to eV and plugging it into the cauchy expression. The cauchy coefficients do not have dimensions of length squared.
loginorsinup

Homework Statement

ZnSe is a II-VI semiconductor and a very useful optical material used in various applications such as optical windows (especially high power laser windows), lenses, and prisms. It transmits over 0.50-19 μm. Refractive index, n in the 1-11 μm range is described by a Cauchy expression of the form
z3IGQU6.png
in which λ is in μm. What are the n-2, n0, n2, and n4 coefficients?

Homework Equations

z3IGQU6.png

ucgUq65.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Given the index of refraction by the following Cauchy equation relationship
z3IGQU6.png
with λ given in micrometers, I am to find the Cauchy coefficients
n-2, n0, n2, and n4 such that
ucgUq65.png
Using
8Iwtk2o.png
I managed to get the first expression to look like
p4U3bnJ.png
Since n is dimensionless λ can't have a dimension either... but the fact that it is given in micrometers is important, clearly, because a 1 meter value λ would require me to plug in
λ = 1000000​
into the very first expression for n.

Typically hυ is given in eV (electron volts). For n to be dimensionless, wouldn't hc have to be equal to eV (a unit of energy) as well? But obviously energy has units of hc/λ. So something is wrong. How do I take into account the fact that λ is given in micrometers in finding the coefficients?

I know I am close, but I can't finish it up. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello log, and welcome to PF :)

Don't know what I'm talking about, but as a physicist I expect your Cauchy coefficients to have dimensions: 0.0485 ##\mu m^2##, etc..

Last edited:
Likes loginorsinup and Greg Bernhardt
Why would you expect them to have dimensions of length squared?

I'm confused what to do with, for example, what to do with (hc)^2?

Which units should I use? How do I make this equal to eV^2 as the Cauchy coefficient n-2 is normally quoted as?

As I said, don't know what I'm talking about. But your coefficients all have different dimensions. The correct expression for n is$$ n= 2.4365 + {0.0485\over (\lambda/1\mu m)^2 }+ {0.0061\over (\lambda/1\mu m)^4 } - 0.0003 (\lambda/1\mu m)^2$$

My interpretation of the problem is that the coefficients have to be found for ##h\nu## expressed in eV. You kind of indicate that clarification of the OP in your post # 3.

So start with: how many eV corresponds to 1 ##\mu m##.

Likes loginorsinup
Thanks for the response, BvU.

I see what you mean about the differing dimensions. So, 1 eV corresponds to 1.23984193 electron volts.

How did I do this? hc/λ for λ = 1 μm.

You correctly pulled in e too, but in "1 eV corresponds to 1.23984193 electron volts." the 1 eV is probaby 1 ##\mu m## :) .

So now think about what happens to the various coefficients. You can easily check by filling in e.g. ##\lambda = 5\; \mu m## in the one and ##h\nu=6.2## eV in the other

Likes loginorsinup
Thanks. I got how it works because of you! :)

1. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, while refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium.

2. How does a lens work?

A lens is a curved piece of glass or other transparent material that refracts light in a specific way. This refraction can either converge or diverge the light, allowing us to see objects more clearly.

3. Can you explain the concept of focal length?

Focal length is the distance between the center of a lens and its focal point. It is a measure of how strongly the lens converges or diverges light. A shorter focal length means the lens has a stronger ability to bend light, while a longer focal length means it bends light less.

4. What is the difference between convex and concave lenses?

Convex lenses are thicker in the middle and cause light to converge, while concave lenses are thinner in the middle and cause light to diverge. This difference in shape and effect on light is what makes convex and concave lenses useful for different purposes.

5. How does the human eye use optics to see?

The human eye has a lens that refracts light onto the retina, which is a layer of cells that convert light into electrical signals. These signals are then sent to the brain, which interprets them as images. The shape and flexibility of the lens allows us to focus on objects at different distances, making vision possible.