Refraction (magnification) - very basic

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the object distance and focal length of a lens that produces a real image that is twice as large as the object and is located 15 cm from the lens. It is determined that the magnification of the image is -2 due to the inverted nature of real images, which solves the issue of the negative object distance.
FrogPad
Question:

A lens produces a real image that is twice as large as the object and is located 15 cm from the lens. Find (a) the object distance and (b) the focal length of the
lens.

[tex] m = \frac{-i}{p} [/tex]

So the image is twice as large so obviously [tex] m = 2 [/tex]. The lens produces a real image that is 15cm from the lens. Thus, [tex] i > 0 [/tex] RIGHT? So we are simply left with,

[tex] p = \frac{-15cm}{2} [/tex]. How can [tex] p [/tex] (the objects distance) be negative? This doesn't make any sense to me. I can resolve this physically but not in the math... I would like to know why.

This problem should be trivial.

Physics news on Phys.org
The issue here is that there are bunch of easy-to-forget sign conventions that go along with the optics formulas. In particular: we are dealing here with a REAL image. Real images are ALWAYS inverted. Because the real image is inverted, it's magnification is technically -2, not +2. This will solve your sign problem and make the object distance positive.

I figured it would be something simple like that. Much appreciated.

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium, such as air, water, or glass. This bending occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums.

2. How does refraction affect the appearance of objects?

Refraction can cause objects to appear distorted or magnified when viewed through a medium. This is due to the change in direction and speed of light as it passes through the medium.

3. What is magnification in terms of refraction?

Magnification refers to the apparent increase in size of an object when viewed through a medium that causes refraction. This can also be described as the ratio of the size of an image to the size of the object.

4. What are some real-life examples of refraction and magnification?

Some common examples of refraction and magnification include the way objects appear larger and distorted when viewed through a glass of water, the way a spoon appears bent when placed in a glass of water, and the way a magnifying glass can make text appear larger and clearer.

5. How is refraction and magnification used in science and technology?

Refraction and magnification are important concepts in fields such as optics, astronomy, and microscopy. They are used to understand the behavior of light and design lenses and other optical instruments for various purposes, such as correcting vision, magnifying small objects, and creating images. They are also crucial in the development of technologies such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes.