1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction (magnification) - very basic

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1

A lens produces a real image that is twice as large as the object and is located 15 cm from the lens. Find (a) the object distance and (b) the focal length of the

[tex] m = \frac{-i}{p} [/tex]

So the image is twice as large so obviously [tex] m = 2 [/tex]. The lens produces a real image that is 15cm from the lens. Thus, [tex] i > 0 [/tex] RIGHT??? So we are simply left with,

[tex] p = \frac{-15cm}{2} [/tex]. How can [tex] p [/tex] (the objects distance) be negative? This doesn't make any sense to me. I can resolve this physically but not in the math... I would like to know why.

This problem should be trivial.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2
    The issue here is that there are bunch of easy-to-forget sign conventions that go along with the optics formulas. In particular: we are dealing here with a REAL image. Real images are ALWAYS inverted. Because the real image is inverted, it's magnification is technically -2, not +2. This will solve your sign problem and make the object distance positive.
  4. Dec 11, 2006 #3

I figured it would be something simple like that. Much appreciated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?