Refraction problem, involving mirrors

In summary, the apparent depth of the reflection of a small fish floating 7.50 cm under the surface of water in a tank with a mirrored bottom viewed at normal incidence is 22.71 cm. This is calculated using the equation s = (n1/n2) * s' and the fact that the virtual image distance is equal to the real distance for mirrors.
aliaze1

Homework Statement

A tank whose bottom is a mirror is filled with water to a depth of 19.3 cm. A small fish floats motionless 7.50 cm under the surface of the water.

What is the apparent depth of the reflection of the fish in the bottom of the tank when viewed at normal incidence?

Homework Equations

s = (n1/n2) * s'
therefore
s' = s/(n1/n2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the apparent depth of the fish to be 5.64 (viewed from the normal). Then i found the apparent depth of the mirror to be 14.5, and then used the property of mirrors (virtual image distance = real distance, s=s')

(14.5-5.64)*2=17.72, incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind, i got it

i did [[(19.3*2) -7.5] /1.33]

I would first confirm that the values given in the problem are accurate and consistent. I would also ensure that the equations and calculations used are appropriate for the problem at hand. In this case, the equation s = (n1/n2) * s' is used for refraction, which involves the bending of light as it passes through different mediums. However, this problem involves mirrors, which use the law of reflection where the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. Therefore, the equation used to find the apparent depth of the reflection in the bottom of the tank should be s' = s.

Using this equation, the apparent depth of the fish's reflection would be the same as its actual depth, which is 7.50 cm. This is because the fish is motionless and directly under the surface of the water, so there is no refraction occurring. The apparent depth of the mirror would also be the same as its actual depth, which is 19.3 cm. Therefore, the distance between the apparent depth of the fish's reflection and the apparent depth of the mirror is 19.3 cm - 7.50 cm = 11.8 cm.

In conclusion, the apparent depth of the reflection of the fish in the bottom of the tank when viewed at normal incidence is 7.50 cm. It is important to use the correct equations and concepts when solving problems involving different optical phenomena, such as refraction and reflection.

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium, such as air or water.

2. How does refraction occur in mirrors?

Refraction can occur in mirrors when light passes through the glass and air layers of the mirror, causing the light rays to bend and creating an image.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect refraction in mirrors?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light hits the mirror, affects the amount of refraction. A larger angle of incidence will result in a larger angle of refraction.

4. What is the difference between refraction in concave and convex mirrors?

Refraction in concave mirrors results in an image that is larger and inverted, while refraction in convex mirrors results in an image that is smaller and upright. Concave mirrors also have a focal point where all light rays converge, while convex mirrors have a focal point where all light rays appear to diverge.

5. How is refraction used in everyday life?

Refraction is used in everyday life in various ways, such as in cameras, glasses, and telescopes. It is also used in the production of mirrors, lenses, and other optical devices. Additionally, the bending of light through Earth's atmosphere is what allows us to see the sun and stars in the sky.