Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refusing to teach creationism in schools is inherently bigotry?

1. Jul 14, 2010 #1
    Is it not to say that by refusing to teach creationism in schools is inherently bigotry?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Creationism

That makes no sense. What are you trying to say?

4. Jul 14, 2010 #3

By refusing to teach creationism in schools, is this not bigotry?

5. Jul 14, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Would you claim that a refusal to teach astrology in schools is bigotry?

6. Jul 14, 2010 #5

Creationism is taught in Sunday School.

7. Jul 14, 2010 #6

Evo

That makes no sense. Either make a credible argument or this is getting deleted.

Do you know what bigotry means?

Do you understand that religion is not taught in public schools in the US?

8. Jul 14, 2010 #7

It's not a matter of opinion : creationism is not scientific. It has nothing to do with science. Note that, there is nothing wrong with that : there is a number of thing I believe which are not scientific and I am fine with that, I am aware and accept it. For instance, I (most of the time) believe that french food is the best (others are quite good too). But who cares ? It's certainly not worth teaching.

9. Jul 14, 2010 #8

~christina~

Gold Member

Isn't the reason why it is not taught in public schools, is because of the fact that the whole 'creationalism' story comes from a religious text and is thus religiously based? Everything that is believed in creationalism comes from the bible, which even in catholic schools is taught to provide one with only a 'religious' truth.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  10. Jul 14, 2010 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Nusc, I'd like to see you form a valid argument. Without it we cannot discuss it.

How do you feel that the term bigotry applies here?
    What do you feel is the rationale under which Creationism should be taught in schools?

11. Jul 14, 2010 #10

russ_watters

Bigotry is intolerance. Creationism isn't taught in school because it is against the 1st Amendment and because creationism isn't science so it doesn't belong in a science class, not because people (who you are referring to, I'm not sure...) are intolerant.

[edit] In fact, the point of the 1st Amendment is to promote (enforce) tolerance, not to promote intolerance.

12. Jul 14, 2010 #11

Yeah I was referring to the four horsemen on the premise that science and religious beliefs are fundamentally incompatible.

13. Jul 14, 2010 #12

russ_watters

I don't know who the four horsemen are, nor what they have to say. Please cite.

14. Jul 14, 2010 #13

harris, hitchens, dawkins, (perhaps not dennett)

Even Weinberg, Feynman, Krauss,...

Most comedians. Larry King.

other secularists, skeptics, atheists...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  15. Jul 15, 2010 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why should creationism be taught in schools? Do you mean that it should be taught as an alternative to science, or in a historical context as a part of social studies? Which version should be used. And who gets to say which version is used?

16. Jul 15, 2010 #15

Creationism doesn't have to be taught in science class. It could be taught in Social Studies. Could it not?

17. Jul 15, 2010 #16

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't seem to be aware of it, but we expect sound logical arguments backed up with facts.

You need to explain why creationism makes sense as a classroom subject, and how its exclusion is caused by a hatred or intolerance of Christianity, or of religion. Probably this argument will include examples of similar subjects with similar backgrounds in non-Christian religions that are taught in schools if it is bigotry vs. Christians, and examples of similar subjects rooted in other cultural institutions that are secular in nature if you want to demonstrate intolerance to religious ideas.

One sentence posts do nothing to further the discussion or even enlighten us as to why you believe what you've said

18. Jul 15, 2010 #17

I'm not saying creationism should be taught in schools.

I was merely set up to ask was if those opposed to creationism being taught in schools are bigoted.

If you're of religious faith and are opposed to creationism being taught in public schools, what purpose does it serve you?

Does saying that it's not science justify that it's useless?

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm asking you guys.

19. Jul 15, 2010 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Really? Do kids in the US not get any religious education in school?

20. Jul 15, 2010 #19

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are those opposed to teaching Algerian in school bigoted? You have to give some reason for why this is a question worth asking before we can give responses worth reading. As is, it's a yes no question so I'll answer: no.

If you have reasons for why you think it might be bigoted, you can list them and ask us what we think about them. Then we can have a conversation. As is, the question is just a black hole and we don't know what kind of response you're looking for

What purpose does what serve?

Lots of things not taught in school are useful. Also, are you asking about teaching creationism in a non-science setting? The general controversy is about teaching it in a science class

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
  21. Jul 15, 2010 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are certainly some people who are bigoted when it comes to religious beliefs and people of faith, but that is not a definitive statement wrt the teaching of creationism. It is not inherently bigoted to oppose the teaching of creationism in public schools. In fact, in the US, we value freedom of religion as much as we do freedom from religion.

If someone wants their kids taught about creationism, they are free to attend a church, temple, mosque, or synagogue, for that.

22. Jul 15, 2010 #21

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not in public schools; at least not specifically. If it is taught at all, it would be very general and a part of social studies. Some high schools might offer specific courses relating to religous studies, but it is rare to hear about it. Private schools are free do what they want provided that the minimum standards for an education are met.

23. Jul 15, 2010 #22

DavidSnider

Gold Member

No. It's kind of a shame. Ironically this is probably the reason why the US is so religious.

24. Jul 15, 2010 #23

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would say just the opposite: I think this is why so many people are hostiles towards people of faith. Most people who mindlessly slam religion here seem to know very little about it. The most basic concepts of faith are a complete mystery to people.

Also, many are all but oblivious to the difference between fundamentalism, and more mainstream faiths. In a way, many people who consider themselves to be well educated, are no different that those who blindly label all muslims as terrorists.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  25. Jul 15, 2010 #24

DavidSnider

Gold Member

They're a complete mystery because they are designed to be that way.

26. Jul 15, 2010 #25

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And so many people of faith are oblivious to religions other than their own. The sword cuts both ways here

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook