Regarding Coleman's Sine-Gordon Duality

• A
  • Thread starter QFT1995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Duality
In summary, the conversation is about a paper discussing the calculation of a time ordered correlation function in quantum field theory. The person asking the question is confused about the specific perturbation series being calculated and is advised to learn more about basic QFT before studying the paper. They also mention being on a deadline and in need of quick help.
QFT1995
TL;DR Summary
Confusion over perturbative series
The link to the paper is here; http://www.sbfisica.org.br/~evjaspc/xviii/images/Nunez/Jan26/AdditionalMaterial/Coleman_paper/Coleman_paper.pdf

Im confused over what exactly he is calculating on page 5 (2092) equation 4.11. Specifically what is
$$\mathcal{T} \langle 0 | \prod_i A_+ (x_i) A_-(y_i) | 0 \rangle. $$
Why aren't the ## A_+ (x_i) ## and ##A_-(y_i)## at the same point and what exactly is the object above?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a time ordered correlation function. Before studying this paper, you should first learn some more basic QFT (if you haven't already).

I understand that its a time ordered correlation function but I'm confused on exactly what the specific perturbation series he is calculating physically means.

It's a time ordered correlation function. Before studying this paper, you should first learn some more basic QFT (if you haven't already).

Hi, could you help explain the specific series in the paper. I'm on a deadline and I don't have much time.
Thanks

1. What is Coleman's Sine-Gordon Duality?

Coleman's Sine-Gordon Duality is a mathematical concept that relates two different quantum field theories, the sine-Gordon theory and the massive Thirring model, which are believed to be dual to each other.

2. How was Coleman's Sine-Gordon Duality discovered?

Coleman's Sine-Gordon Duality was first discovered by physicist Sidney Coleman in the 1970s while studying the quantum field theory of the sine-Gordon model. He noticed that the equations describing this model were similar to those of the massive Thirring model, leading to the discovery of their duality.

3. What is the significance of Coleman's Sine-Gordon Duality?

Coleman's Sine-Gordon Duality is significant because it provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between different quantum field theories. It also allows for the calculation of physical quantities in one theory by using techniques from the dual theory, making it a powerful tool in theoretical physics.

4. How is Coleman's Sine-Gordon Duality used in physics?

Coleman's Sine-Gordon Duality is used in various areas of physics, including condensed matter physics, particle physics, and string theory. It has been applied to study the behavior of particles in one-dimensional systems, the dynamics of topological defects, and the properties of black holes.

5. Are there any limitations to Coleman's Sine-Gordon Duality?

While Coleman's Sine-Gordon Duality has been proven to hold in certain cases, it is not a universal concept and may not hold for all quantum field theories. Its applicability also depends on the specific parameters and conditions of the theories involved. Further research is still being conducted to fully understand the limitations and scope of this duality.