1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding electric potential with respect to a negative charge

1. Aug 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If I have a electric source charge, does that mean that electric potential increases as r increases (because it gets increasingly less negative as you go farther from the source charge) as opposed to a positive charge in which potential energy would increase as r decreases?

The reason I am asking this question is because I am confused as to why electrons would accelerate as they reach a point of higher potential. For instance, if an electron moves away from a negative source charge that would mean that the change in electric potential is positive. However it's charge is negative so that means the change in PE is -ve, which means that it has lost potential energy as it moves away from the source charge. Is this explanation correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think you meant to specify a negative electric source charge
    Yes.

4. Aug 10, 2014 #3
    Well great, simple and to the point answer. I love it! Haha thank you haruspex!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted