1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding Kittel's solid state physics 167 page

1. Apr 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In Kittel's 'Introduction to solid state physics' (8th ed.), on page 167, it says "The wave functions at the Brillouin zone boundary ##k=\pi/a## are ##\sqrt{2} cos (\pi x/a)## and ##\sqrt{2} sin(\pi x/a)##, normalized over unit length of line."
    Here I cannot understand what is the meaning of "normalized over unit length of line".
    Does that mean that, when I integrate the square of the wave function from 0 to 1, the result should be 1? But
    $$ \int_0^1 2cos^2 \frac{\pi x}{a} dx = \int_0^1 (1+cos \frac{2\pi x}{a})dx $$
    $$ = 1+\frac{a}{2\pi} sin\frac{2\pi}{a} \neq 1. $$
    Please help me find out what is wrong in my reasoning.
    Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2014 #2
    Is ##a## given, or is it something you can specify at will? In the latter case, can you find ##a## that would satisfy the requirement?

4. Apr 25, 2014 #3
    Thank you for the responce.
    I think ##a## is a given quantity. ##a## is the size of the unit cell in one-dimensional lattice.
    The above equation is satisfied only when ##a=1##.

5. Apr 26, 2014 #4
    No, not only. The sine is a periodic function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted