Regarding Upper and lower integral sets.

In summary, the conversation discusses doubts about the definitions of upper and lower integrals in Apostol. The statement is clarified as saying that S is a collection of numbers obtained by evaluating the Riemann integral of all step functions below f. The question is raised about whether S should be a singleton with a single element being the sum of all the step functions, but it is concluded that S is a collection of numbers. There is also a discussion about the definition of integration and how it relates to the numerical values obtained from evaluating step functions.
nascentmind
I am having some doubts in the definitions of the upper and lower integrals in apostol.

There is a statement saying "Let S denote the set of all numbers [itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] [itex]^{b}[/itex] s(x) dx obtained as s runs through all step functions below f i.e. S = { [itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] [itex]^{b}[/itex] s(x) dx | s < f} "

I did not get this. Shouldn't S be a singleton with a only a single element being the summation of the area of all the step functions below f ?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I get, the integral refers to the numerical value of the step function

satisfying the condition s<f. So for each such step function you get the associated

number, so you end with S as a collection of numbers.

Bacle2 said:
From what I get, the integral refers to the numerical value of the step function

satisfying the condition s<f. So for each such step function you get the associated

number, so you end with S as a collection of numbers.

When I do a [itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]^{b}[/itex] s(x) dx I should have single number no? Even if he is considering different values for the step functions he should finally sum it up because the definition of integration says so right?

nascentmind said:
When I do a [itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]^{b}[/itex] s(x) dx I should have single number no? Even if he is considering different values for the step functions he should finally sum it up because the definition of integration says so right?

That sounds right; for each choice of step function you get a numerical value-- the

Riemann integral of the step function.

What are upper and lower integral sets?

Upper and lower integral sets are mathematical concepts used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve. They are also known as upper and lower sums.

How are upper and lower integral sets used?

Upper and lower integral sets are used to estimate the area under a curve when it is not possible to find the exact value using traditional methods. They are also used to prove the existence of the definite integral.

What is the difference between upper and lower integral sets?

The main difference between upper and lower integral sets is the way they approximate the area under a curve. Upper integral sets use the maximum value of the curve in each interval, while lower integral sets use the minimum value.

What is the significance of upper and lower integral sets?

Upper and lower integral sets are important in calculus because they help us understand the concept of integration and how it relates to the area under a curve. They also provide a way to approximate the value of a definite integral when traditional methods are not feasible.

Can upper and lower integral sets be used for any type of function?

Yes, upper and lower integral sets can be used for any continuous function. However, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of subintervals used and the behavior of the function within those intervals.