1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding vectors, resultants, and angles

Tags:
  1. Oct 6, 2014 #1

ble

I have two problems that I cannot seem to figure out. I already know the answers, but I want to know the process of how to complete them so I know for quizzes and tests.

1. Vector A is 3 units in length and points along the positive x-axis; vector B is 4 units in length and points along a direction 150 degrees from the positive x-axis. What is the direction of the resultant with respect to the positive x-axis?

The correct answer is 103 degrees, but I want to know how to get to it.

2. The following force vectors act on an object: i.) 50 newtons at 45 degrees north of east and ii.) 25 newtons at 30 degrees south of east. Which of the following represents the magnitude of the resultant and its angle relative to the easterly direction?

The correct answer is 61.4 newtons at 21.8 degrees, but again, I want to know how to get to it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2
    Show us some effort and the relevant equations.

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

and draw the vector diagram

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello ble, and welcome to PF. :-)

The number 2. in the template is there so that potential helpers can provide assistance at an adequate level. After all, that's literally what you are asking for. The 3 is to show what you have done so far, so you can get help at the point where you are stuck. Much better than starting with nothing.

So don't discard the template but make good use of it. Its use happens to be compulsory in PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted