Regula Falsi this has been bothering me for days

• Thread starter relinquished™
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Order of Convergence for the Method of False Position (Regula Falsi) Iteration, which is known to be 1. The formula for calculating error bounds is also mentioned, but the issue is that the numerator is not as simple as the bisection method. It is suggested to use cases where c is equal to either a or b, as they will result in similar answers.
relinquished™
Hello again. I'm kinda stuck trying to prove that the Order of Convergence for the Method of False Position (Regula Falsi) Iteration for finding roots is somewhere between 1 and the golden ratio (approx. 1.62). I do know that

[tex]

c_k = \frac{f(b_k)a_k - f(a_k)b_k}{f(b_k)-f(a_k)}

[/tex]

Which tells me that the error caused by using such a method could be bounded by the length of the interval [a,b]. Problem is that I don't know how to bound it since the numerator is obviously no a simple b-a like the bisection method. Also, the denominator for the iterative method constantly changes since either the values of a or b are changed for the next iteration. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

reli~

Physics news on Phys.org
hi
the order of convergence of the regular falsi method is 1, not between 1 and the golden ratio.

hint:
since both the values of a and b changes for the next iteration, use cases. There are only 2 when c = a or when c = b. Both will result to similar answers.

Last edited:

What is Regula Falsi?

Regula Falsi, also known as the "method of false position", is a root-finding algorithm used to solve equations of the form f(x)=0. It is an iterative process that uses a bracketing interval to approximate the root of the equation.

How does Regula Falsi work?

The algorithm starts with two initial guesses, a and b, such that f(a) and f(b) have opposite signs. Then, it calculates the point c where the line connecting (a,f(a)) and (b,f(b)) crosses the x-axis. This point is used as the new guess for the root. The process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

What are the advantages of using Regula Falsi?

Regula Falsi is a simple and easy-to-understand algorithm that does not require any knowledge of calculus. It is also guaranteed to converge to a root if the function is continuous and changes sign within the initial interval. Additionally, it is more efficient than other root-finding methods such as bisection.

What are the limitations of Regula Falsi?

One major limitation of Regula Falsi is that it can converge slowly, especially when the initial interval is large or the function has multiple roots. It also requires the initial interval to be chosen carefully, otherwise it may fail to converge or converge to a wrong root. Furthermore, it only works for functions that are continuous and change sign in the given interval.

How is Regula Falsi different from other root-finding methods?

Regula Falsi is similar to the bisection method in that it also uses a bracketing interval and iteratively narrows down the interval to approximate the root. However, it differs in that it uses linear interpolation to find the next guess, while bisection always uses the midpoint of the interval. This makes Regula Falsi more efficient and faster than bisection.