1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regula Falsi this has been bothering me for days

1. Jul 19, 2006 #1
    Hello again. I'm kinda stuck trying to prove that the Order of Convergence for the Method of False Position (Regula Falsi) Iteration for finding roots is somewhere between 1 and the golden ratio (approx. 1.62). I do know that

[tex]

c_k = \frac{f(b_k)a_k - f(a_k)b_k}{f(b_k)-f(a_k)}

[/tex]

Which tells me that the error caused by using such a method could be bounded by the length of the interval [a,b]. Problem is that I don't know how to bound it since the numerator is obviously no a simple b-a like the bisection method. Also, the denominator for the iterative method constantly changes since either the values of a or b are changed for the next iteration. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

reli~

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2006 #2
    hi
    the order of convergence of the regular falsi method is 1, not between 1 and the golden ratio.

hint:
    since both the values of a and b changes for the next iteration, use cases. There are only 2 when c = a or when c = b. Both will result to similar answers.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?