Related rates Balloon question. Thanks

In summary, a related rates balloon question is a type of problem in mathematics where the goal is to find the rate at which one variable is changing in relation to another variable. To solve these types of questions, one must identify relevant variables, use the chain rule to set up an equation, and solve for the desired rate of change. These types of questions can be applied to various fields and it is important to carefully define variables, draw diagrams, and check units to avoid common mistakes.
nukeman

Homework Statement

Air is being pumped into a spherical balloon. Suppose we know the surface area of the balloon increases at a rate of 20cm^2/s when its radius is 4cm. What is the rate its volume is changing at that instant?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I went...

dv/dt = 4∏ (4)^2 * 20/1 = 1280∏

I know its wrong. Anyone help me out? What am i doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait no, I went:

dv/dt = (1/4pi(4)^2) *20/1

gives me 5 / 16pi

I think that's still wrong. Write out generic formulae for dV/dt and dA/dt as functions of r and dr/dt..

1. What is a related rates balloon question?

A related rates balloon question is a type of problem in mathematics that involves finding the rate at which a specific variable is changing in relation to another variable. In these types of questions, one or more variables are changing over time and the goal is to determine how the rate of change of one variable affects the rate of change of another.

2. How do you solve a related rates balloon question?

To solve a related rates balloon question, you must first identify all relevant variables and their relationships. Then, you can use the given information and the chain rule to set up an equation that relates the rates of change of these variables. Finally, you can solve the equation and determine the desired rate of change.

3. What are some common applications of related rates balloon questions?

Related rates balloon questions can be applied to a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are particularly useful in situations where multiple variables are changing simultaneously and their rates of change are interdependent.

4. What are some tips for solving related rates balloon questions?

Some tips for solving related rates balloon questions include clearly defining all relevant variables, drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, and using the chain rule to relate the rates of change. It is also helpful to regularly check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates balloon questions?

One common mistake to avoid when solving related rates balloon questions is to mix up the rates of change of different variables. It is important to carefully read the problem and correctly identify which variable is changing at what rate. It is also important to keep track of units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.