Related Rate Problems: Airplane Distance and Water Level Changes

• Thread starter Zerkor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems, one involving an airplane's distance from a control tower and the other involving the rate of change of water level in a paper cup. The person asking the question is seeking help in solving these problems as a self-learner. In regards to the first problem, the conversation suggests using the cosine law to find the length of the other side of the triangle and solving for the rate of change. For the second problem, the conversation clarifies the meaning of "a" and "b" as base radii, with "b" staying constant and "a" changing. The person asking the question is having trouble getting the correct answer and asks for further clarification.
Zerkor

Homework Statement

This is not my homework I'm a self-learner and I faced a problem solving these two problems and I found nobody to help me to solve them, I hope somebody here will help. The two problems are :

1- An airplane is flying at a constant speed of 360 mile\hr and climbing at an angle of 45. At the moment the plane's altitude is 10560 ft. , it passes directly over an air traffic control tower on the ground. Find the rate at which the airplane's distance from the tower is changing 1 minute later (neglect the height of the tower)

2- A paper cup containing water has the shape of a frustum of a right circular cone of altitude 6 in. and lower and upper base radii 1 in. and 2 in. respectively. If water is leaking out of the cup at a rate of 3 in^3\hr. , at what rate is the water level decreasing when the depth of the water is 4 in.? (Note: the volume V of a frustum of a cone of a right circular cone of altitude h and base radii a and b is given by V=1\3*pi*h*(a^2+b^2+ab))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In problem (1) : I drew a triangle with radius r and an opposite side to the 45° angle of length 10560 ft (2 miles) but I don't know should I find dr\dt or should I find the rate of change of the side drawn from the point the tower into intersect the extent of the hypotenuse (r)? and if so how can I get it?
In problem (2) : I don't know whether if a is changing or not .. I think that a is changing and b is constant but whenever I treat them as constants or as variables my solution is always different from the provided answers to this problem .. (the answer is -27\25pi)

Physics news on Phys.org
try posting your drawing of the situation.

Zerkor said:

Homework Statement

This is not my homework I'm a self-learner and I faced a problem solving these two problems and I found nobody to help me to solve them, I hope somebody here will help. The two problems are :

1- An airplane is flying at a constant speed of 360 mile\hr and climbing at an angle of 45. At the moment the plane's altitude is 10560 ft. , it passes directly over an air traffic control tower on the ground. Find the rate at which the airplane's distance from the tower is changing 1 minute later (neglect the height of the tower)

2- A paper cup containing water has the shape of a frustum of a right circular cone of altitude 6 in. and lower and upper base radii 1 in. and 2 in. respectively. If water is leaking out of the cup at a rate of 3 in^3\hr. , at what rate is the water level decreasing when the depth of the water is 4 in.? (Note: the volume V of a frustum of a cone of a right circular cone of altitude h and base radii a and b is given by V=1\3*pi*h*(a^2+b^2+ab))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In problem (1) : I drew a triangle with radius r and an opposite side to the 45° angle of length 10560 ft (2 miles) but I don't know should I find dr\dt or should I find the rate of change of the side drawn from the point the tower into intersect the extent of the hypotenuse (r)? and if so how can I get it?
Do you understand that you have a triangle with one side of length 10560 ft and angle 135 degrees? The length of the other side of that angle is changing at 360 mph so 31680 feet per minute and can be represented as 31680t feet. Use the cosine law to find the other side of the triangle.

In problem (2) : I don't know whether if a is changing or not .. I think that a is changing and b is constant but whenever I treat them as constants or as variables my solution is always different from the provided answers to this problem .. (the answer is -27\25pi)
What do you mean by "a"? Your problem says "base radii a and b" but does not specify which is which. The base of the cup stays the same while the top of the water changes. If you are using "b" to represent the radius of the base of the cup that stays the same: 1 inch. If you are using a to represent the radius of the top of the water, it is changing. It is impossible to tell you what you are doing wrong if you don't show what you did!

HallsofIvy said:
Do you understand that you have a triangle with one side of length 10560 ft and angle 135 degrees? The length of the other side of that angle is changing at 360 mph so 31680 feet per minute and can be represented as 31680t feet. Use the cosine law to find the other side of the triangle.

What do you mean by "a"? Your problem says "base radii a and b" but does not specify which is which. The base of the cup stays the same while the top of the water changes. If you are using "b" to represent the radius of the base of the cup that stays the same: 1 inch. If you are using a to represent the radius of the top of the water, it is changing. It is impossible to tell you what you are doing wrong if you don't show what you did!

The cosine law .. that's it :) .. I used it and got the right answer .. in the second problem the provided answer is as you said (-27\25pi) but every time I try to solve it I get -9\7pi not -25\24pi , could you please tell me how did you get it in detail. And thanks for your help :)

1. What are two related rate problems?

Two related rate problems are mathematical problems that involve finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another. These types of problems typically involve rates of change that are dependent on each other, and finding the relationship between the two rates is key to solving the problem.

2. How do you solve a related rate problem?

To solve a related rate problem, you must first identify the quantities that are changing and the rates at which they are changing. Then, use the given information and mathematical equations to find the relationship between the rates. Finally, use calculus techniques such as implicit differentiation and the chain rule to solve for the unknown rate.

3. What is the chain rule in related rate problems?

The chain rule is a calculus technique used to find the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. In related rate problems, the chain rule is used to find the relationship between the rates of change of two related quantities.

4. Can you give an example of a related rate problem?

Sure, an example of a related rate problem could be a ladder leaning against a wall. The ladder is sliding down the wall at a rate of 2 feet per second, and the base of the ladder is sliding away from the wall at a rate of 1 foot per second. The question might ask: "At what rate is the angle between the ladder and the wall changing when the base of the ladder is 6 feet from the wall?"

5. What are the real-world applications of related rate problems?

Related rate problems have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include determining the rate of change of the volume of a balloon as it is being filled with air, finding the rate of change of the area of a growing circle, and calculating the rate of change of the price of a product in relation to its demand.