Related Rates of a Triangle with Fixed Side Lengths

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Greywolfe1982
Messages
60
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two sides of a triangle of fixed length measure 12m and 15m. The angle between these two sides increases at a rate of 2 degrees per minute. When the angle between these two sides is 60 degrees, at what rate is the third side increasing?

Homework Equations



That's the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure what equation I should differentiate - law of sines would give be division by zero (something over (da/dt)^2), and law of cosines would give me 0 = 0, as the length of the sides are not changing. What equation am I forgetting here, or am I going at this from completely the wrong way?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Take a more careful look at the law of cosines. Post your work if you are still confused.
 
Hint:

Assume the angle between the sides is a variable [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Express the third side in terms of the lengths of the two sides and the angle between them.

Differentiate with respect to t according to the chain rule, assuming [itex]\alpha = \alpha(t)[/itex]. This will give you the rate with which the length of the third side increases. You may substitute [itex]\alpha = 60^{\circ}[/itex].

Express [itex]\dot{\alpha}[/itex] in rad/s instead of degrees/s.