Related rates weight of duckling

In summary: It should be ln3.5 = 4k + ln2. Using this corrected value for k, we get w(6) = 4.6 lbs. Therefore, the correct answer is option (B).In summary, the weight of a duck increases at a rate proportional to its weight, with a constant of proportionality of 1.124. Using the points (0,2) and (4,3.5), we can solve the differential equation to find that the equation for the weight of the duck is w(t) = 2e^(0.124t). Plugging in 6 months, we get a weight of 4.6 lbs.
syeh

Homework Statement

Suppose that during the first year after its hatching, the weight of a duck increases at a rate proportional to its weight. The duck weighed 2 pounds when hatched, and 3.5 lbs at age 4 months. How many lbs will it weight at 6 months?

A) 4.2 lbs
B) 4.6 lbs
C) 4.8 lbs
D) 5.6 lbs
E) 6.5 lbs

Answer: (B) 4.6 lbs

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed this was a linear equation and used the points (0, 2) and (4, 3.5) to find the slope, .375, and the equation of the line to be y=.375x+2. Then i plugged in 6 and got y(6)=.375(6)+2 = 4.25. But the answer is 4.6.

Is the graph not a linear equation? Maybe since it says "weight increases at a rate proportional to its weight", it is an exponential function?? Then, how would I find f(6)??

Physics news on Phys.org
If dw/dt is the rate of change of weight, then

dw/dt ∝ w such that dw/dt = kw where k is a constant.

You will need to solve this DE to get w(t).

Then they gave you two conditions, so that you can solve for your constants.

rock.freak667 said:
If dw/dt is the rate of change of weight, then

dw/dt ∝ w such that dw/dt = kw where k is a constant.

You will need to solve this DE to get w(t).

Then they gave you two conditions, so that you can solve for your constants.

What do you mean, dw/dt=kw? by using (0,2) and (4,3.5), how would i solve for w(t)??

Read the problem statement carefully. "the weight of a duck increases at a rate proportional to its weight."

Thus, let w(t) = the weight of the duck at time t.

the rate of change in weight with respect to time is dw/dt.

This rate is proportional to the weight of the duck, thus dw/dt = kw, where k = constant of proportionality.

Do you know about separation of variables?

SteamKing said:
Read the problem statement carefully. "the weight of a duck increases at a rate proportional to its weight."

Thus, let w(t) = the weight of the duck at time t.

the rate of change in weight with respect to time is dw/dt.

This rate is proportional to the weight of the duck, thus dw/dt = kw, where k = constant of proportionality.

Do you know about separation of variables?

ok, I see. So i took dw/dt = kw and got
∫1/w dw = ∫k dt
lnw = kt + C

Using (0,2) to find C:
ln2 = C

Using (4, 3.5) to find k:
ln3.5 = 4.5k + ln2
4.5k = ln(1.75)
k=1.124

So, lnw= 0.124t + ln2
w=2e^(0.124t)

to plug in 6 months:
w(6)= 4.218

How come I didnt get the correct answer, 4.6 lbs?

syeh said:
Using (4, 3.5) to find k:
ln3.5 = 4.5k + ln2

4 became 4.5?

Thank you

What is related rates weight of duckling?

Related rates weight of duckling is a concept in physics and mathematics that deals with the change in weight of a duckling over time as it grows. It involves using calculus to determine the rate at which the weight of the duckling is changing.

How is related rates weight of duckling useful?

Related rates weight of duckling is useful in understanding the growth and development of animals, and can also be applied to other fields such as economics and engineering. It helps us to predict and control changes in weight over time.

What factors can affect the weight of a duckling?

The weight of a duckling can be affected by several factors, including diet, exercise, genetics, and environmental conditions. These factors can impact the rate at which the duckling's weight changes.

How do you calculate related rates weight of duckling?

To calculate related rates weight of duckling, you can use the formula: dW/dt = (dW/dt) / (dW/dt). This formula represents the rate of change of weight over time, and involves taking the derivative of the weight function with respect to time.

What are some real-life applications of related rates weight of duckling?

Related rates weight of duckling has various real-life applications, such as predicting the growth of livestock for agricultural purposes, monitoring weight changes in patients for medical purposes, and understanding the impact of environmental changes on the weight of animals in their natural habitats.