1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates, why doesn't my solution work?

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    Conical water tank, vertex down. Radius of 10ft, 24 ft high. Water flows into tank at 20 cubic ft/ min. How fast is the depth of the water increasing at 16ft?

r=10ft
    y=16ft
    dV/dt=20 cubic ft/min
    dy/dt=?

So here was my attempt:

V=1/3 (pi r^2) y
    I treated r as a constant so I could find dv/dt in terms of dy/dt

dV/dt= 1/3 pi r^2 dy/dt
    dy/dt= (dV/dt)3/(pi r^2)

I found t by taking similar triangles
    10/24=r/16 so r = 10*16/24 = 20/3

I plugged in the data and got 27/20pi

The answer is: 9/20pi

Here's the actual solution:
    they changed r in terms of y
    r=(2/3)y

V=(1/3) (pi r^2) y substituting r gives V=(1/3) pi(2/3)^2 (y^3)=(4pi/27) y^3
    dV/dt= (4pi/27)(3y^2)dy/dt

dy/dt= dV/dt * 27/[4pi(3y^2)]
    plugging in 16ft for y yields: 9/20pi, the right answer

What went wrong with my solution? Both solutions seem mutually correct. They're not, but I fail to recognize what's wrong with it.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your solution assumes r is a constant. It's not. As the level of the water decreases r changes as well as y.

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    That makes sense. I think given a similar problem, I would make the same mistake.

So, next time I get a similar problem, I'll do implicit differentiation, and get the term dr/dt, I would look at my givens and see that I have no info on dr/dt, then I would go back and get rid of r (by substituting it with y) so I don't have to deal with it...

I appreciate it, thanks.

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4
    Another question: I'm working on a problem involving piling sand in the shape of a cone. The cone's height and diameter are always equal. The information gave that it's height is increasing at a rate of 5 ft /min at the instant when it's 10ft, I'm supposed to find the rate at which the sand is pouring onto the pile.
    V=1/3 pi r^3
    so dV/dt= pi (r^2)dr/dt
    When I worked through it, I was stumped as to what to put down for dr/dt

it's DIAMETER is increasing at 5 ft/min, If at that moment, it were to stay at 5 ft/min, a minute later the new diameter would be 15ft. the radius went from 5ft to 7.5 ft. So It appears that the radius is increasing at 2.5 ft/min.

When I plugged in that information, I got the wrong answer. The books answer matches if you assume dr/dt=5ft/min

What's wrong with me now?

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The volume is V=(1/3)*pi*r^2*h. If h is equal the diameter, then h=2r. That makes the volume (2/3)*pi*r^3. Not (1/3)*pi*r^3. I think what's wrong with you is that you may need some sleep. You just aren't thinking about this very clearly.

7. Sep 28, 2009 #6
    Yeah I think you're right, I worked the problem again given your new information and I got the wrong answer...because in whatever screwed up mathematical system I'm using, 5^3 =625.

And I have another mystery, but I have a feeling it's not the mystery I think it is. I should look at it tomorrow after I've lain in bed with my eyes shut for 8 hours.

Thanks for your insight. ZZZ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook