Relating change in time to change in position and velocity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
OneObstacle
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I was looking back at some homework solutions I've solved earlier this term and I ran across this equation:

Δt = 2*Δx/(vf+vi)

Which seems to translate to:

Δt = Δx/vave

Is this an actual way of finding delta t? I got the answer right, but I can not understand or find where I got this equation.

EDIT: Can someone take this down? I found out I just rearranged d = (vf+vi)/2 * t
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OneObstacle said:
I was looking back at some homework solutions I've solved earlier this term and I ran across this equation:

Δt = 2*Δx/(vf+vi)

Which seems to translate to:

Δt = Δx/vave

Is this an actual way of finding delta t? I got the answer right, but I can not understand or find where I got this equation.

EDIT: Can someone take this down? I found out I just rearranged d = (vf+vi)/2 * t

Yes, correct, d = vavet seems to be one of the most forgotten but helpful of the 5 motion equations for constant acceleration.