What is the velocity of observer O' in the Lorentz Transformation problem?

In summary, according to observers ##O## and ##O'##, blue and red flashes appear to be simultaneous when observed from different positions and velocities. However, according to observer ##O##, the two flashes are not simultaneous when observed from his own position.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

According to observer ##O##, a blue flash occurs at ##x_b =10.4m## when ##t_b =0.124 μs##, and a red flash occurs at ##x_r =23.6m## when ##t_r =0.138 μs##. According to observer ##O'##, who is in motion relative to ##O## at velocity ##u##, the two flashes appear to be simultaneous. Find the velocity ##u##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didnt understand the concept of simultaneity I think.
The difference in position will be , ##Δx=13.2m## and the difference in time ##Δt=0.014μs##

Now I tried to use the lorentz transformation.
##Δx'=γ(Δx-uΔt)##
##Δt'=γ(Δt-uΔx/c^2)##

To find ##u## I guess ll need some relationship between ##Δx'## and ##Δt'##. I am kind of stuck.

I just solved a problem where if I had given the ##u## and ##Δx##, ##Δt##. I can find the ##Δx'## and ##Δt'## by just using the lorentz transformation but here something simple bugs me, that I can't see right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: That two events are simultaneous in a given frame means that the time difference between them is zero in that frame.

Orodruin said:
Hint: That two events are simultaneous in a given frame means that the time difference between them is zero in that frame.
So ##Δt'=0## ? I tried that but it gives me ##u=Δtc^2/Δx## which is larger then ##c## ?

Wait its not I guess...Okay thanks lol my stupid mistakes...

Please show your actual numerical results.

My mistake sorry for that. Its not larger then ##c##. I thought that its at first, so I started to think some other stuff to find the solution..

Arman777 said:
So ##Δt'=0## ? I tried that but it gives me ##u=Δtc^2/Δx## which is larger then ##c## ?

Wait its not I guess...Okay thanks lol my stupid mistakes...

You can check from this equation the constraint on the events in one frame to make it possible for them to be simultaneous in another frame:

##|u| < c \ \Leftrightarrow \ |\Delta x| > c |\Delta t|##

Which is the definition of spacelike-separated events.

PeroK said:
You can check from this equation the constraint on the events in one frame to make it possible for them to be simultaneous in another frame:

##|u| < c \ \Leftrightarrow \ |\Delta x| > c |\Delta t|##

Which is the definition of spacelike-separated events.
We didnt learn those stuff actually. And Idk that's because its advenced or something else. We are learning just basics. Once I asked a question about the doppler affect and Orodruin replied but I couldn't understand a thing.

We didnt learn anything about these stuff. But there's a open course about special relativity but again its kind of advanced so I didnt take it.

Arman777 said:
We didnt learn those stuff actually. And Idk that's because its advenced or something else. We are learning just basics. Once I asked a question about the doppler affect and Orodruin replied but I couldn't understand a thing.

We didnt learn anything about these stuff. But there's a open course about special relativity but again its kind of advanced so I didnt take it.

Well, you've learned it now!

PeroK said:
Well, you've learned it now!
Well i guess :)

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical equation developed by physicist Hendrik Lorentz that describes how measurements of time and space change between two observers moving at constant velocities relative to each other. It is a fundamental concept in the theory of special relativity.

2. Why is the Lorentz Transformation important?

The Lorentz Transformation is important because it helps us understand how time and space are relative and how they can be affected by the speed of an object. It also plays a crucial role in the development of the theory of special relativity, which has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

3. How is the Lorentz Transformation derived?

The Lorentz Transformation is derived from two postulates of special relativity: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. By combining these two postulates with the principles of time and space, the Lorentz Transformation can be derived.

4. What is the relationship between the Lorentz Transformation and time dilation?

The Lorentz Transformation is closely related to the concept of time dilation, which is the difference in the measured elapsed time between two events as measured by two observers in relative motion. The Lorentz Transformation takes into account the effects of time dilation and allows us to accurately calculate the difference in time between two events for observers in relative motion.

5. How is the Lorentz Transformation applied in real-world situations?

The Lorentz Transformation has many practical applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, it is used in the design of particle accelerators and in the GPS system, which relies on the precise measurement of time for accurate navigation. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of objects traveling at high speeds, such as spacecraft and subatomic particles, and is essential in the development of modern technologies such as nuclear power and telecommunications.