1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relating charge to potential difference

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ions with mass m and charge q are accelerated through a potential difference V. They then enter a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to their velocity and are deflected in a semicircular path of radius R

What potential difference V is needed so that singly ionized 12C atoms will have R= 50 cm in a 0.15T magnetic field?

radius R= 50 cm
    magnetic field strength B= 0.15 T
    mass m= 1.993 X10^-26 kg
    charge q=?
    linear velocity v=?
    voltage difference V=?

2. Relevant equations
    v=(R*|q|*B)/m
    V=(0.5*m*v^2)/q

Not looking for a specific solution from here. I need a new way to equate the data. No matter how I slice it given the formulas and data provided, I cannot find the potential difference without either the particle's charge or its linear velocity.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What do you suppose the phrase "singly ionized" implies?

4. Apr 14, 2012 #3
    *facepalm*

I had assumed it meant nothing more than that ions were produced and released in series. Thanks for pointing it out, I should be able to handle it from here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook