Relating Electric Field and Voltage in an Insulating Sphere

In summary, the electric potential is a continuous function that decreases as you move away from the center of the sphere.
NeonJay

Homework Statement

Positive electric charge Q is distributed uniformly throughout the volume of an insulating sphere with radius R. From the expression for E=kQ/r^2 for r>R and E=kQr/R^3 for r<R, find the expression for the electric potential V as a function of r both inside and outside the uniformly charged sphere. Assume that V = 0 at infinity.

k=1/(4*π*ε0)

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_A^B\vec{E}\cdot\mathrm{d}\vec{r} = V(A) - V(B)[/tex]

2.5. Apparent Answer

(kQ/2R)[3-(r^2)/(R^2)]

Apologies ... I'm not very knowledgeable in tex, but that last part would read r-squared over R-squared.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already obtained V = kQ/r for r>R. This was a simple antiderivative.
I'm getting really caught up on r<R. I've tried integrating from 0 to r, 0 to R, r to R, and backwards versions of the same. Nothing comes to the answer in 2.5 above. I'm really at a loss for how this integral should be done. I can understand most of it except for the 3 in the second expression; where the heck does it come from? I've seen this answer in a couple of different places, but none of them actually explain it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
NeonJay said:

Homework Statement

Positive electric charge Q is distributed uniformly throughout the volume of an insulating sphere with radius R. From the expression for E=kQ/r^2 for r>R and E=kQr/R^3 for r<R, find the expression for the electric potential V as a function of r both inside and outside the uniformly charged sphere. Assume that V = 0 at infinity.

k=1/(4*π*ε0)

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_A^B\vec{E}\cdot\mathrm{d}\vec{r} = V(A) - V(B)[/tex]

2.5. Apparent Answer

(kQ/2R)[3-(r^2)/(R^2)]

Apologies ... I'm not very knowledgeable in tex, but that last part would read r-squared over R-squared.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already obtained V = kQ/r for r>R. This was a simple antiderivative.
Hello NeonJay. Welcome to PF !

Extend this to r = R, to get V(R) = kQ/R.

Then use [itex]\displaystyle \int_A^B\vec{E}\cdot\mathrm{d}\vec{r} = V(A) - V(B)[/itex] to get V(r) for r < R . To do this, A = R, B = r .
I'm getting really caught up on r<R. I've tried integrating from 0 to r, 0 to R, r to R, and backwards versions of the same. Nothing comes to the answer in 2.5 above. I'm really at a loss for how this integral should be done. I can understand most of it except for the 3 in the second expression; where the heck does it come from? I've seen this answer in a couple of different places, but none of them actually explain it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

The potential is continuous function, and you know it at r=R. V(R)=kQ/R2 . Integrate from r to R:
[tex]V(r)-V(R)=\int_r^R{\frac{kQ}{R^3}rdr}[/tex]
substitute kQ/R for V(R) and solve for V(r).

ehild

I think I get it. I was essentially neglecting part of my equation.

Thanks for the help! It really clears a lot of things up.

The equation comes from the definition of the electric potential: a function V(r) of position r so as the negative gradient of V is equal to the electric field intensity.

-V(r)=E.The electric field is conservative so the work done on unit charge between two points A and B does not depend on the path taken.

[tex]\int_A^B{-\nabla V d\vec r}=\int_A^B{\vec Ed\vec r}[/tex]

V dr=dV, the increment of V.

[tex]\int_A^B{-dV}=V(A)-V(B)=\int_A^B{\vec Ed \vec r}[/tex]ehild

1. What is an insulating sphere?

An insulating sphere is a spherical object made of a material that does not conduct electricity. This means that it does not allow electric charges to flow through it easily.

2. How is electric field related to voltage in an insulating sphere?

The electric field in an insulating sphere is directly proportional to the voltage. This means that as the voltage increases, the electric field also increases.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric field in an insulating sphere?

The formula for calculating electric field in an insulating sphere is E = V/R, where E is the electric field, V is the voltage, and R is the radius of the sphere.

4. Can electric field and voltage be measured in an insulating sphere?

Yes, electric field and voltage can be measured in an insulating sphere using appropriate instruments such as a voltmeter and an electric field sensor.

5. How does the electric field inside an insulating sphere differ from that in a conducting sphere?

The electric field inside an insulating sphere is uniform and radial, while in a conducting sphere it is not uniform and depends on the charge distribution on the surface of the sphere.