1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Relating Surface area to volume

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    How do I express the surface area of for instance a sphere in terms of volume?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

(question moved to homework help)

What is the context of your question. The surface area and volume of a sphere are straightforward formulas in terms of the radius. I'm guessing that there is more to your question?

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    I want to express the surface area of a sphere in terms of the volume and not radius.

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4

berkeman

What are the two formulas for volume and surface area? What would be some way to do what you are asking?

6. Aug 30, 2010 #5
    V(sphere)=(4/3)*pi*R^3
    S.A.(sphere)=4*pi*R^3

I am thinking i need to take derivatives, but when you do dV/dR you just get the surface area

7. Aug 30, 2010 #6

berkeman

You meant R^2 in the area forumula.

I would think one way would be to express R as a function of volume, and then substitute that back into the area forumula for R... (or the other way around, depending on what you are wanting to do. Does that work?

8. Aug 30, 2010 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Surface area is equal to [itex]4\pi r^2[/itex] and there are no need for derivatives, you have two equations, both with r in them so you want to eliminate r by substitution.

9. Aug 30, 2010 #8
    Here lets make this more complicated.
    #1) V(sphere)=(4/3)*pi*(D/2)^3
    #2)S.A.(sphere)=4*pi*(D/2)^3

So i solve to D using equation 1. D=(V(24/(4*pi)))^(1/3)
    So can i just plug this D into #2 and wah lah?

10. Aug 30, 2010 #9

Mentallic

Homework Helper

:bugeye:

Uhh yep, that's all there is to it... By the way, simplify 24/4pi, unless you like to keep things more complicated :tongue:

11. Aug 30, 2010 #10
    Sometimes things look more complicated than they are, haha! THANKS GUYS

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook