Relating the Gamma Constant to the absorbed dose

  • Thread starter Thread starter khary23
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Constant Gamma
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
khary23
Messages
92
Reaction score
6
It is unclear from my text. Can you use the gamma constant to find the absorbed dose for a point source of photons?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
khary23 said:
It is unclear from my text. Can you use the gamma constant to find the absorbed dose for a point source of photons?
What text is one using? What is the context?

According to this document - https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1122/ML11229A688.pdf (see slides 15-33) - one can use a gamma constant, Γ, to calculate exposure rate dX/dt and exposure, X, and subsequently dose rate, dD/dt and dose, D.
 
I am using Turner's Atoms, Radiation and radiation protection.
I want to calculate the dose per activity (Gy/Bq/hr) of a point source of photons to theoretically check an MCNP result. The only way I could see to do it so that the units work, with the exception of the m^2, is with the gamma constant.
 
Last edited:
Are you referring to the mass attenuation coefficient?
 
no,
with H/phi factor,
with mass attenuation it is :
K (mGy/h)=5.74e-4*(mu/rho)*phi*E
same reference
 
I have not heard of the dose factor, but will look it up. What are its units?

Also edited my original post to clarify what I am doing.
 
Last edited:
the conversion fluence dose factor is in pSv.cm2
I Don't know "
gamma constant " but the "
conversion fluence dose factor" is defined in the ICRP​
​
 
Yes, Use ICRP PUBLICATION 119.
For extra safety you can use another software like RadMap (radmap.tech) to cross check your result. It has a nice gui with a Geant4 backend and you can get a time limited free license.
 
I assume that you want to calculate the dose in tissue due to a source within the tissue.
khary23 said:
I want to calculate the dose per activity (Gy/Bq/hr) of a point source of photons to theoretically check an MCNP result.
What MCNP result do you want to check. Your own simulation or another? Can you be more specific?
 
KlasM said:
Yes, Use ICRP PUBLICATION 119.
For extra safety you can use another software like RadMap (radmap.tech) to cross check your result. It has a nice gui with a Geant4 backend and you can get a time limited free license.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will check it out!
 
gleem said:
I assume that you want to calculate the dose in tissue due to a source within the tissue.

What MCNP result do you want to check. Your own simulation or another? Can you be more specific?

My own simulation. I am calculating the dose to water for a brachytherapy source to validate that it conforms to the TG-43 protocol.
 
For your information the TG-43 report has been updated to the AAPM Report #84. I recommend you check it out.