1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation b/w probability of triplet state and singlet state

1. Nov 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If electron (1) is in a state described by cosα1χ+ + sinα1e iβ1 χ- and electron (2) is in a state described by cosα2χ+ + sinα2e iβ2 χ-, what is the probability that the two-electron state is in a triplet state?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already solved this problem; I have a conceptual question about solving it using a relation that would make my solution a lot simpler. I read somewhere online that the probability of finding the electron system in the triplet state can be equated to (1 - the probability of finding the electron system in the singlet state). I was wondering how this is possible. Thanks for any input.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The space consisting of two angular momenta each equal to ##1/2## is a 4 dimensional space - it is spanned by 4 basis vectors. 3 of them belongs to the triplet state and the last one belongs to the singlet state. The point here is that, for two ##1/2## angular momenta, there can only be triplet or singlet. That's why the probability of finding triplet states is equal to unity minus the probability of finding a singlet state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted