Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between occupation probability and first passage probability

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    Let P(r,t) define the occupation probability, the probability that a particle emulating a random walk will find itself at position r at time t if starts from the origin at time zero.

Let F(r,t) define the first passage probability, the probability that a particle emulating a random walk will find itself at position r at time t FOR THE FIRST TIME if starts from the origin at time zero.

I was reading a book which says this :
    "For a random walk to be at position r at time t, the walk must first reach r at some earlier time step t' and then return to r after t-t' additional steps. This connection between F(r,t) and P(r,t) can thus be expressed by the equation

[tex] P(r,t) = \delta_{r0} \delta_{t0} + \sum_{t'\leqt}F(r,t')P(0,t-t') [/tex]

"

Can someone please explain how this is possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2
    For some reason, I cannot edit the above. It is supposed to read t' [tex]\leq[/tex] t below the summation sign.

4. Dec 9, 2009 #3
    Can someone move this to the Classical Physics subforum? I might probably get more replies there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook