Relation between work and change in energy.

In summary, work is the mechanical transfer of energy, either to or from a system, resulting in a change in energy of the system. There are two types of mechanical energy, potential and kinetic, which are associated with work. Work is measured by the change in mechanical energy, which is affected by the force applied and the distance covered. Defining energy can be a complicated concept.
Caraniah
I'm confuse... What does it mean by saying, " change in energy"? What energy? Please help me... and explain. And no, this is not my homework... I'm doing my notes for physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work is the mechanical transfer of energy. If you do work on a system, you are transferring energy either to or from the system...with this, there is a change in energy of the system. There is potential energy and kinetic energy (two types of mechanical energy we will associate with for now classically). Kinetic energy is the energy of motion; when applying a force to an object, you are accelerating it, so you are changing its kinetic energy...this is what work measures: the change in mechanical energy...hence, work is an integral of the scalar product of force and distance covered.
If you're asking for a definition for energy...then it could get a bit complicated...

Last edited:
Gear300 said:
Work is the mechanical transfer of energy. If you do work on a system, you are transferring energy either to or from the system...with this, there is a change in energy of the system. There is potential energy and kinetic energy (two types of mechanical energy we will associate with for now classically). Kinetic energy is the energy of motion; when applying a force to an object, you are accelerating it, so you are changing its kinetic energy...this is what work measures: the change in mechanical energy...hence, work is an integral of the scalar product of force and distance covered.
If you're asking for a definition for energy...then it could get a bit complicated...

Thank u. Just exactly what i want...

1. How does work affect the change in energy?

Work is defined as the product of force and distance, and it is responsible for causing a change in energy. When work is done on an object, energy is transferred to the object, resulting in a change in its energy state.

2. What is the relationship between work and energy?

The relationship between work and energy is that work is the mechanism by which energy is transferred from one object to another. Work is also a form of energy, as it can be converted into other forms of energy such as kinetic or potential energy.

3. Can work be done without causing a change in energy?

No, work cannot be done without causing a change in energy. This is because work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another. In order for work to be done, there must be a change in energy.

4. How does the amount of work affect the change in energy?

The amount of work done is directly proportional to the change in energy. This means that the more work that is done, the greater the change in energy will be. This relationship is described by the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of work causing a change in energy?

Some real-life examples of work causing a change in energy include pushing a car up a hill, lifting a book off the ground, and using a machine to lift heavy objects. In all of these situations, work is being done on an object, resulting in a change in its energy state.