Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between work and change in energy.

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1
    I'm confuse... What does it mean by saying, " change in energy"? What energy? Please help me... and explain. And no, this is not my homework... I'm doing my notes for physics.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2008 #2
    Work is the mechanical transfer of energy. If you do work on a system, you are transferring energy either to or from the system...with this, there is a change in energy of the system. There is potential energy and kinetic energy (two types of mechanical energy we will associate with for now classically). Kinetic energy is the energy of motion; when applying a force to an object, you are accelerating it, so you are changing its kinetic energy...this is what work measures: the change in mechanical energy...hence, work is an integral of the scalar product of force and distance covered.
    If you're asking for a definition for energy...then it could get a bit complicated...
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  4. Aug 11, 2008 #3
    Thank u. Just exactly what i want...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?