1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between changing a wire's diameter and change in temp

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello! I have a problem where I need to develop and justify a hypothesis surrounding the relationship between the thickness (or diameter) of a nichrome wire and the temperature of water that it's submersed in over a time of 5 minutes. (proportionality statement and equations)

2. Relevant equations

So far, I know that resistance is inversely proportional to cross-sectional area, and therefore:
    R ∝ 1/A
    R ∝ 1/∏r^2
    R ∝ 1/∏(d/2)^2
    and because 2 and ∏ are constant
    R ∝ 1/d^2 (resistance is inversely proportional to diameter squared) (I think!)

Now, I've also researched Joule's law, which eventuates into:
    Heat produced = Pt = VIt = V^2/Rt = I^2Rt

3. The attempt at a solution

Now, I'm trying to get a relationship between diameter and ΔT, and I thought, so I have R ∝ 1/d^2, and P = V^2/R where V is a constant so P ∝ 1/R
    and since P is the change in heat:
    ΔT ∝ 1/R

OR

since thickness makes resistance go down
    and less resistance makes ΔT (somehow)
    then is R ∝ ΔT
    and substituting so therefore:
    ΔT ∝ 1/d

and I don't have much idea how to reason out what the graph will look like/why...

I think I've tied myself in knots... any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!:)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you have to assume the wire is connected to a constant voltage source and I'd also ignore any change in resistance of the wire with temperature.

Therefore your approach is correct..

R ∝ 1/∏(d/2)2
    R ∝ 1/d2

Then use..

Power = V2/R

Power = V2 * d2.........................................(1)

If the water is in an insulated container then the energy it contains (E) is given by

E = Specific heat capacity * mass * Δ Temperature

Rearrange to give..

Δ Temperature = E / Specific heat capacity * mass

Then..

E = Power * Time

so

Δ Temperature = Power * Time / Specific heat capacity * mass ...............(2)

Put (1) into (2)...

Δ Temperature = V2 * d2 * Time / Specific heat capacity * mass

Voltage, Time, Specific heat capacity and mass are all constant so

Δ Temperature ∝ d2

eg The change in temperature over 5min (not the actual temperature) is proportional to d2

Temperature = Initial Temperature + Δ Temperature

So actual temperature is proportional (but not directly proportional) to d2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proportionality_(mathematics [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook