1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between density and probability in diffusion

1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the diffusion of a drop of ink in a water vase. The density of the ink is ## \rho (\vec{r}, t) ##, and the probability ##P(\vec{r}, t)## obeys the diffusion equation. What is the relationship between ##\rho (\vec{r}, t)## and ##P(\vec{r}, t)##?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the probability is proportional to the density, but I am not sure in what way. I don't understand how to approach this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The probability of what?

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    The probability of a particle for being at a position ##\vec{r}## at time ##t##.

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What does it mean to say that there is a particle of dye at a precise point in space? Is there some preamble to the question, telling you to consider the volume as made up of little boxes, each of which contains either one particle of dye or none?

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5
    Not really, it just says that the probability is that of Brownian movement and we are asked to find that relationship as preparation to derive and solve the diffusion equation.

7. Jan 31, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I still don't think that means anything. How about, it's the probability density function in a Brownian movement?

8. Jan 31, 2016 #7
    Okay yes that makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted