1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between GR and qm+electromagnetism?

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    I emailed a prof about sitting in on his graduate-level gravitational theory class next semester. He said he would like his students to have understanding of electromagnetism, special relativity and quantum mechanics at the advanced undergraduate level.

This is the course description: Presents Einstein's relativistic theory of gravitation from geometric viewpoint; gives applications to astrophysical problems (gravitational waves, stellar collapse, etc.).

My question is does GR involves the two subjects? I have the QM down, but I'm not sure if my electromagnetism is at the "advanced undergraduate level" and am not sure if I'll have enough time to bring it up to par if GR needs my understanding to be there.

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

GR doesn't involve much E&M, but if you are not facile with the mathematics of E&M, you will not understand a whit of GR.

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    What level of math is E&M at?

I have "Classical Electrodynamics: Third Edition" by Jackson, and am slowly working through the first chapter. But so far, all I've seen are divergence theorems and things of that sort.
    I'm also currently taking a PDE course (Initial/Boundary value problems for first-order, wave, heat and Laplace Equations; maximum principles; Fourier Series and applications.).

Would that be enough? If not, what would you suggest I also study?

5. Oct 24, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Ideally, you should be able to handle any problem in Jackson. (Although not necessarily quickly!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook