Relationship between GR and qm+electromagnetism?

• Thread starter romsofia
  • Start date
romsofia
I emailed a prof about sitting in on his graduate-level gravitational theory class next semester. He said he would like his students to have understanding of electromagnetism, special relativity and quantum mechanics at the advanced undergraduate level.

This is the course description: Presents Einstein's relativistic theory of gravitation from geometric viewpoint; gives applications to astrophysical problems (gravitational waves, stellar collapse, etc.).

My question is does GR involves the two subjects? I have the QM down, but I'm not sure if my electromagnetism is at the "advanced undergraduate level" and am not sure if I'll have enough time to bring it up to par if GR needs my understanding to be there.

Thanks for your help!

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2021 Award
GR doesn't involve much E&M, but if you are not facile with the mathematics of E&M, you will not understand a whit of GR.

romsofia
GR doesn't involve much E&M, but if you are not facile with the mathematics of E&M, you will not understand a whit of GR.

What level of math is E&M at?

I have "Classical Electrodynamics: Third Edition" by Jackson, and am slowly working through the first chapter. But so far, all I've seen are divergence theorems and things of that sort.
I'm also currently taking a PDE course (Initial/Boundary value problems for first-order, wave, heat and Laplace Equations; maximum principles; Fourier Series and applications.).

Would that be enough? If not, what would you suggest I also study?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2021 Award
Ideally, you should be able to handle any problem in Jackson. (Although not necessarily quickly!)

Suggested for: Relationship between GR and qm+electromagnetism?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies