How is there discrepancy between GR and QM?

• Thread starter nhmllr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses the disappointment in the special "The Elegant Universe" for providing vague explanations of why General Relativity (GR) and Quantum Mechanics (QM) do not align. The individual has a basic understanding of the math behind SR but lacks knowledge of GR and QM. They do not see how these two theories would conflict as they cover different areas, with GR dealing with mass and QM covering everything else. The individual requests an example of a problem where GR and QM give different results to better understand the controversy.
nhmllr
I watched The Elegant Universe, and it was somewhat disappointing. At the current moment, I only know some of the math of SR, no math of GR, and no math of QM. The special kept giving vague overviews of why GR and QM don't mix. I do know some of the concepts for GR and QM, and I do not see why they would conflict, or how they would conflict as they cover different territories. GR deals with mass, Qm deals with everything else. Would somebody give me an example of a problem where GR and QM give different results, so I can understand what the fuss is about? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is GR and QM?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory created by Albert Einstein to explain the force of gravity and its effects on space and time. QM stands for Quantum Mechanics, which is a theory that describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

2. What is the discrepancy between GR and QM?

The discrepancy between GR and QM arises from the fact that they are based on different principles and have different mathematical frameworks. GR is based on the concept of gravity as a curvature of space-time, while QM is based on the principles of uncertainty and probability.

3. How do GR and QM differ in their predictions?

GR and QM differ in their predictions in certain extreme scenarios. GR is better at explaining the behavior of large objects in the universe, such as planets and galaxies, while QM is better at explaining the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. Can GR and QM be reconciled?

Currently, there is no single theory that can reconcile GR and QM. However, scientists are working on theories such as string theory and loop quantum gravity that aim to unify these two theories into a single framework.

5. What are the implications of the discrepancy between GR and QM?

The discrepancy between GR and QM has led to many unanswered questions in physics and has created a need for a new theory that can bridge the gap between the two. It also suggests that there may be limitations to our current understanding of the laws of the universe.