Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship Between Kinetic Energy and Temperature

1. Jan 24, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am currently reading the pages from a book called Thermal Physics, which was written by Daniel Schroeder; the pages to which I refer are 10-13. In these pages, he derives the relationship [itex]\bar{T} = kT[/itex]. Here is one line that intrigues me,

"So if this model is accurate, the temperature of a gas is a direct measure of the average translational kinetic energy of its molecules."

I was wondering, does anyone know of any experiments that had (or are) been conducted to verify this formula, as I would be very interested in reading an account of these experiments.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"##\bar T=kT##" is nonsense - typo?

The usual relationship for the kinetic temperature of an ideal gas is: ##\bar E_K=\frac{3}{2}kT## ... for a general gas we expect: ##\bar E_K\propto kT## ... where the constant of proportionality is a material property. For simple gasses, it corresponds to roughly half the number of degrees of freedom.

The definitive experiments were done a long time ago.

The distribution of energies follows the Maxwel-Boltzman distribution - and it is this which has been experimentally confirmed. These days it may be found in a college teaching lab. i.e. http://www.cosbkup.gatech.edu/group/chem780/CHAPT1.pdf s1.5.5
    ... the lead-up is worth the read since the authors make some effort to justify assertions from simple observations where they can.
    Anyway - the section shows the student-lab methods of determining the energy distribution of a gas. From there you can confirm the relationship between the mean energy and the temperature.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook