1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship Between Kinetic Friction and Mechanical Energy

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which of the following statements about friction is correct?
    I. Kinetic friction always decreases the mechanical energy of a system.
    II. The static friction force cannot change the mechanical energy of a system.
    III. The force of friction always points in the direction opposite to the way that a system moves.
    None of the statements is correct.
    Statement III only
    Statements I & II only
    Statement II only
    Statements I & III only
    Statements II & III only
    Statement I only.
    All three statements.

2. Relevant equations
    W = F * D
    Mechanical Energy = KE + Ug

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot find the culprit. All appear to be correct and I cannot form any counter-examples. Kinetic friction is a non-conservative force, so it must decrease the mechanical energy of a system where friction is present. Static friction does not do work, so it must not affect the mechanical energy of a system. For the third; I cannot imagine a system in which friction points in the direction of motion. Kinetic friction is caused by this motion.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you think that the answer is "all of the above?"

So what's the problem? Have you been told that this answer is incorrect?

4. Mar 18, 2012 #3
    Exactly. All of the above was taken as incorrect by the online homework program I am using. I am now stumped as to which one is the odd problem out.

5. Mar 18, 2012 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm, okay, let's think this through.

If I push a box across a flat surface at a constant speed, is the mechanical energy of the box changing? Is kinetic friction present?

6. Mar 18, 2012 #5
    There would be a change in kinetic energy but no change in potential energy. When pushing a box across a floor with friction, kinetic energy is lost to the frictional force which runs parallel to the direction of motion?

7. Mar 18, 2012 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, pay closer attention to the scenario I am proposing:

8. Mar 18, 2012 #7

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually let's consider a couple of other situations:

1. Walking
    2. A car moving down a road.

For situation 2, what direction does the frictional force from the road ON the tires point? What direction does the system move?

For both situations: is the friction causing the mechanical energy of the system to decrease?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook