Relationship between Polarizing Angle and Angle of internal reflection

In summary: In that case, the angle would be different because the angle of incidence and reflection would be different.Yes, I used the same values of n1 and n2 for both.OK, thanks. That accounts for why rude man and I were getting a different result.
OnceKnown

Homework Statement

The critical angle for total internal reflection for a substance is 58.0°. What is the polarizing angle for this substance?

Homework Equations

Index of refraction: n = 1 / sin(θ[itex]_{c}[/itex])

and n = tan (θ[itex]_{p}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

So I plugged in the numbers for the desired angles and came to the final formula of:

Polarizing Angle = tan [itex]^{-1}[/itex] (n)

which equals to about 49.7°, but I get that as the wrong answer. I really don't know the true relationship between the polarizing angle and critical angle of total internal reflection. Can someone please help me in that area and see where I went wrong with my calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks correct to me (assuming that the polarizing angle is for light incident on the material from the outside).

TSny said:
Your answer looks correct to me (assuming that the polarizing angle is for light incident on the material from the outside).

I agree, without adding the qualification which I don't understand. (Can you get a polarizing angle going from a denser to a less dense medium?).

Hi! Thanks for your guy's replies to my question. I was lucky to find out that I used the formulas incorrectly, and therefore, got the wrong answer. I was able to find the correct one and properly use it to get the right answer this time around. Thanks once again!

rude man said:
(Can you get a polarizing angle going from a denser to a less dense medium?).

Yes, you just need to satisfy tan(θ1) = n2/n1. n2 can be greater or less than n1.

TSny said:
Yes, you just need to satisfy tan(θ1) = n2/n1. n2 can be greater or less than n1.

OK.
Can you figure out what we did wrong? The OP says he got it right after modifying his computations ... ?

rude man said:
Can you figure out what we did wrong? The OP says he got it right after modifying his computations ... ?

Nope, beats me!

rude man said:
OK.

I was able to find another resource that was similar to my problem and was able to solve it by using snell's law under critical angle conditions:

n[itex]_{1}[/itex]sinθ[itex]_{c}[/itex] = n[itex]_{2}[/itex]

and Snell's law under polarization conditions:

n[itex]_{1}[/itex]sinθ[itex]_{p}[/itex] = n[itex]_{2}[/itex]cosθ[itex]_{p}[/itex]

which simplified down to tanθ[itex]_{p}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{n_{2}}{n_{1}}[/itex]

Setting them to equation 1 & 2, and then plugging first equation into 2nd I was able to get the right answer from that.

Did you use the same value of n1 in both equations and the same value of n2 in both equations? If so, then the question must have wanted you to find the polarization angle θp for the case where the light is starting out inside the material.

TSny said:
Did you use the same value of n1 in both equations and the same value of n2 in both equations? If so, then the question must have wanted you to find the polarization angle θp for the case where the light is starting out inside the material.

Yes, I used the same values of n1 and n2 for both.

OK, thanks. That accounts for why rude man and I were getting a different result. Usually when you speak of the polarizing angle for a substance, such as glass, it is assumed that you are considering light incident on the glass (from air, say). But your question was apparently asking for the polarizing angle for light internally reflecting inside the glass.

1. What is the relationship between polarizing angle and angle of internal reflection?

The relationship between polarizing angle and angle of internal reflection is that as the polarizing angle increases, the angle of internal reflection also increases. This means that the light ray is more likely to be fully reflected at a higher polarizing angle.

2. How do polarizing angle and angle of internal reflection affect the amount of light transmitted through a material?

Polarizing angle and angle of internal reflection directly affect the amount of light transmitted through a material. As the polarizing angle increases, the amount of light transmitted decreases due to increased reflection. Similarly, as the angle of internal reflection increases, more light is reflected and less is transmitted.

3. Can the polarizing angle and angle of internal reflection be different for different materials?

Yes, the polarizing angle and angle of internal reflection can vary for different materials. This is because these values depend on the refractive index of the material, which can differ between materials.

4. How do the polarizing angle and angle of internal reflection impact the visibility of objects through a material?

The polarizing angle and angle of internal reflection can affect the visibility of objects through a material. If the polarizing angle is too high, the reflected light can overpower the transmitted light, making objects appear darker or even invisible. Similarly, the angle of internal reflection can also affect the amount of light transmitted through a material and thus impact visibility.

5. Is there a specific relationship between polarizing angle and angle of internal reflection for all materials?

No, there is not a specific relationship between polarizing angle and angle of internal reflection for all materials. The relationship between these two values may vary depending on the material's properties, such as its refractive index. Additionally, other factors such as the angle of incidence and the material's thickness can also affect this relationship.