Fraction of light reflected inside a diamond

Davidllerenav
Homework Statement
Diamonds have an index of refraction of n = 2.42 which allows total internal
reflection to occur at relatively shallow angles of incidence. What fraction of the light reflects for internal angles ##\theta_i = 40.5^°## and ##\theta_i = 50.6^°##?
Relevant Equations
Fresnel equations
Snell's law
So i do now that it is a case of total internal reflection, but i didn't get R=1 for ##\theta_i=40.5^°##. I used the Fresnel equations for both s and p-polarized light and for s I got ##r_s=\frac{n_i\cos\theta_i-n_t\cos\theta_t}{n_i\cos\theta_i+
n_t\cos\theta_t}=0.296## using ##n_i=2.42## and ##n_t=1##. For p I got ##r_p=\frac{n_i\cos\theta_t-n_t\cos\theta_i}{n_i\cos\theta_t+
n_t\cos\theta_i}=0.522##. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What values are you using for ##\theta_t##?

nasu said:
What values are you using for ##\theta_t##?
Well since both incident angles are greater than the critical angle ##\theta_c=24.4^°##, then ##\theta_t=0##.

Are Fresnel's equations still valid beyond the critical angle?

haruspex said:
Are Fresnel's equations still valid beyond the critical angle?
I thought so, but reading the chapter again I think not because the transmited angle isn't in facr zero, but complex.

Davidllerenav said:
Well since both incident angles are greater than the critical angle ##\theta_c=24.4^°##, then ##\theta_t=0##.
No, the angle is not zero. For angles larger than the critical angle there is no real ##\theta_c ##. The Fresnel reflection coefficient becomes a complex number with a magnitude of 1 for any angle larger than the critical angle. The phase of the complex coefficient still changes with the angle but the magnitude doesn't. Fresnel's equations are still valid. They can be written in terms of just incident angle and index of refraction so there is no problem with the transmission angle.

Likes Davidllerenav

1. What is the fraction of light reflected inside a diamond?

The fraction of light reflected inside a diamond, also known as its refractive index, is typically around 2.42. This means that approximately 42% of the light that enters a diamond will be reflected back out.

2. How is the fraction of light reflected inside a diamond measured?

The fraction of light reflected inside a diamond is measured using a device called a refractometer. This instrument measures the angle at which light is bent as it passes through the diamond, which is then used to calculate the diamond's refractive index.

3. What factors affect the fraction of light reflected inside a diamond?

The main factor that affects the fraction of light reflected inside a diamond is its cut. A well-cut diamond will have a higher refractive index and therefore reflect more light. Other factors that can affect the refractive index include the diamond's clarity, color, and size.

4. Why is the fraction of light reflected inside a diamond important?

The fraction of light reflected inside a diamond is important because it directly affects a diamond's brilliance and sparkle. A higher refractive index means more light is reflected, resulting in a more dazzling and valuable diamond.

5. Can the fraction of light reflected inside a diamond change over time?

No, the fraction of light reflected inside a diamond will not change over time. However, if a diamond becomes dirty or has any surface imperfections, it may affect the amount of light that is able to enter and be reflected, resulting in a lower perceived refractive index.