1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between roots and coefficients

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

SCAN0341.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Sum of roots taken one at a time is -b/a
    Sum of roots taken two at a time is c/a
    three at a time is -d/a
    four at a time is e/a
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I did part one by solving the two equations simultaneously.
    For part two, I said that it has those roots because that is where the two curves touch
    I'm stuck on part three - tried to solve it by applying the above equations and eliminating [itex]\gamma[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] since they are equal to [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] respectively but this did not work.
    Help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For (i). Solving the equations simultaneously only means that the points satisfying that equation are on both the circle and one hyperbola. It doesn't mean that such points occur where the curves are tangent to each other.

Since this is in the pre-calculus section, I ask, do you know how to show that the points of intersection are points of tangency ?

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    The question says that the curves touch at the points A and B so I assumed they were tangential to each other at those points. Not sure how I would prove it otherwise seeing as I only have an x value for the points.

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's possible for these curves to intersect in as many as 4 points. The fact that they intersect (touch) at only two points is a hint to answering question ii .

How many real roots can a degree 4 polynomial have in general ?

6. Jan 22, 2012 #5
    a fourth degree polynomial has 4 roots therefore alpha and beta are double roots?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook