1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship Between V and T in Adiabatic Expansion

1. Sep 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The energy and pressure of black body radiation depend on T and V as Eq(1) & Eq(2). Suppose that the temperature and volume of a box of radiation change adiabatically. Find the relation between dE and dT in this process. Next, using Eq(1), show that T ∝V^-1/3

2. Relevant equations
    Eq(1): E = σVT^4;
    Eq(2): p = 1/3σT^4;
    ΔE = Q - W;

Since Q = 0;
    ΔE = -W

3. The attempt at a solution

To begin with we've (a few people working together) have tried what appears to be an overly simple method.
    E = σ V T^4
    dE/dT = 4 σ V T^3
    dE = 4 σ V T^3 dT
    V = dE/(4 σ T^3 dT)

∴ V∝T^-1/3

But this seems overly simplistic, especially since volume is changing too. Any formulae/approaches we're missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you realise that in your final answer V and T are swapped compared with what was given to be proved?
    Certainly the method is not valid.
    You do not seem to have used Eq 2 at all. I would think you need to use that and some relationship between V, E and p.

4. Sep 22, 2015 #3
    That is correct. I apologize. It was a mistake of plain anticlimactic proportions.

And yes, I did end up using Eq(2), and we got the answer after some rather petty algebra and a step of differential equations. Problem solved.

5. Sep 24, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Was that petty or pretty?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted