Relationship between work and kinetic energy

In summary, the problem discusses a block of ice sliding down a frictionless ramp at a 50° angle while being pulled by a 50 N force. The block's kinetic energy increases by 80 J as it slides through a distance of 0.50 m. The question asks how much greater the kinetic energy would have been if the rope was not attached. The solution involves finding the net downward force, which is equal to the work done and the change in kinetic energy. The final answer is 25 J, which may seem counterintuitive, but can be explained by the given information and the equations for work and change in kinetic energy.
lemonpie

Homework Statement

A block of ice slides down a frictionless ramp at angle q = 50° while an ice worker pulls on the block (via a rope) with a force that has a magnitude of 50 N and is directed up the ramp. As the block slides through distance d = 0.50 m along the ramp, its kinetic energy increases by 80 J. How much greater would its kinetic energy have been if the rope had not been attached to the block?
http://www.lowellphysics.org/beta/Textbook%20Resources/Chapter%207.%20Kinetic%20Energy%20and%20Work/Problems/c07x7_11.xform_files/nw0315-n.gif

Homework Equations

W = Fd, delta K = Kf - Ki

The Attempt at a Solution

I found W = Fd = (50)(0.5) = 25 J. Then I tried to figure out the kinetic energy at the top and bottom of the ramp, but I got stuck because the mass of the block wasn't given. Then I checked the back of the book and found that the answer to the increase in kinetic energy was actually 25 J, and in some vague way this makes sense to me, but not totally, and not in a way I would have been able to figure out on my own. Can someone give me some helpful words to explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Work done = change in KE.
From this find the net down ward force (F-Fr).

rl.bhat said:
Work done = change in KE.

thanks. i feel stupid.

1. What is the definition of work?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is measured in joules (J) in the metric system.

2. What is the definition of kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity. It is measured in joules (J) in the metric system.

3. How are work and kinetic energy related?

Work and kinetic energy are directly related, meaning that work done on an object will result in a change in its kinetic energy. The work done on an object will either increase or decrease its kinetic energy depending on the direction of the force applied.

4. Can work be negative and kinetic energy be zero?

Yes, work can be negative and kinetic energy can be zero. This can occur when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of its motion, resulting in a decrease in kinetic energy. In this case, the work done on the object is negative.

5. How does the conservation of energy apply to the relationship between work and kinetic energy?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In the relationship between work and kinetic energy, the work done on an object will either increase or decrease its kinetic energy, but the total energy remains constant. This means that the work done on an object will equal the change in its kinetic energy.