Relationships between QM and QFT Particles

In summary, a particle in non-relativistic QM and a particle in relativistic QFT are "essentially" the same. The way one can see this is by reformulating non-relativistic QM of many identical particles as a non-relativistic QFT. This reformulation is (misleadingly) called "second quantization".
I don't think this is mainly a question of mathematical rigor. The Wightman axioms are very physical.
If a reasonable physical QFT would exist, we should be able to write down its Hamiltonian.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DrDu and atyy:

Thank you both for your most recent posts. Just when I thought I had established for myself a satisfactory understanding of the relationships betweeen QM and QFT for my mental capacity to grasp, you have added some more concepts. I now feel prompted to ask additional questions.

I gather that QFTs have a close connection with particle physics, includng the Lie groups used to express field/particle properties. I get the impression that QM, specifically with its limitation rearding particle number conservation, doesn't have much or anything to do with particle physics. Is this correct?

atyy said:
The question is open in 3+1D
From this quote, atyy, I guess that QM applies OK to a 3D-space, 1D-time spacetime (as well as spacetimes with 1D and 2D spaces) , while currently QFTs fail on problems involving spacetime with 3D space. Is this correct?

Regards,
Buzz

DrDu said:
I don't think this is mainly a question of mathematical rigor. The Wightman axioms are very physical.
If a reasonable physical QFT would exist, we should be able to write down its Hamiltonian.

What I meant was that there are QFTs in 2+1D that fulfill the Wightman axioms. From the informal point of view, physicists would understand these QFTs using a Fock space which is a "particle space", but from the rigourous point of view, the Hilbert space of these QFTs is not a Fock space in the physicists' sense.

atyy said:
but from the rigourous point of view, the Hilbert space of these QFTs is not a Fock space in the physicists' sense.

What is missing for a rigorous Fock space in the cited models?