Relationships of hyperbolic Paraboloids

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between hyperbolic paraboloids and the possibility of solving for z, finding the intersection of equations, and obtaining a generalized solution. The example equations provided have a quadratic term of xy, which can be used to eliminate z and obtain equations of intersecting planes and a line. The conversation also mentions using solver applets and the coefficients being irrelevant.
johnkubik
Hey everyone, I was wondering what you could tell me about the relationship between hyperbolic paraboloids. I have listed a set of 3 equations and was wondering what I can do with them? Can I solve for z, can I get the intersection of the equations? Can I get generalized solution of any kind? What does all three equations existing in the same domain mean (what would it look like to plot all of them in 3d, what information would it garner?).

The coefficents are irrelevant, I am wondering about the type of equation, listed below is an example set.

7*x*y +15y +11x + 4 = z
7*x*y +26y +57x + 27 = z
7*x*y +72y +84x + 81 = z

Could you just throw some ideas at me, please.

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can easily eliminate two variables to get a quadratic in the third. Solve and go back. You will have two possible solutions, so you need to verify if both are valid.

I am not sure how to handle the 7*x*y in order to get the quadratic. I tried using the solver applets in Wolfram alpha and it is having issues with it as well.

Thank you for the quick response!

Not sure how general are the cases you're interested in. In your example the only quadratic term anywhere is xy. So you can eliminate z between two eqns to obtain an expression for xy in terms of linear form on x and y. Then use that to eliminate xy from two eqns (one of the first two and the third) to get eqns of two intersecting planes, and hence of a line. Use those to eliminate y and z (say) from anyone of the three eqns to get a quadratic.

Start with a(i)xy + b(i)x + c(i)y + d(i) = z, i = 1,2,3

Eliminate z to get two equations:
(a(1)-a(j))xy + (b(1)-b(j))x + (c(1)-c(j))y + d(1)-d(j) = 0, j =2,3

Solve the first equation for x:

x = {d(2) - d(1) + (c(2) - c(1))y}/{b(1) - b(2) + (a(1) - a(2))y}

Substitute for x in the second equation and clear the denominator. The result is a quadratic in y.

1. What is a hyperbolic paraboloid?

A hyperbolic paraboloid is a three-dimensional surface that resembles a saddle shape. It is a mathematical object that is commonly used in architecture and engineering for its structural stability and unique aesthetic. It is also known as a "saddle" or "saddle roof".

2. How are hyperbolic paraboloids used in architecture?

Hyperbolic paraboloids are used in architecture for their ability to create unique and visually appealing structures. They are commonly used in roofs and canopies, as well as in bridges and other large-scale structures. Their structural stability allows for large spans without the need for columns or other support.

3. What is the relationship between two hyperbolic paraboloids?

The relationship between two hyperbolic paraboloids is that they intersect at a straight line, known as the ridge line. This intersection creates a stable and strong structure, making it ideal for architectural and engineering purposes.

4. How are hyperbolic paraboloids different from other shapes?

Hyperbolic paraboloids are different from other shapes because they have both a hyperbolic and parabolic cross-section. This unique shape gives it structural stability and allows for large spans without the need for support columns. They are also aesthetically distinct, making them popular in architecture and design.

5. What are some real-life examples of hyperbolic paraboloids?

Some real-life examples of hyperbolic paraboloids include the Sydney Opera House, the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, and the roof of the Denver International Airport. They can also be found in smaller structures such as playground equipment and pavilions. Additionally, hyperbolic paraboloids are often used in the design of furniture and other decorative objects.